CodeGuru Home VC++ / MFC / C++ .NET / C# Visual Basic VB Forums Developer.com

Question How to save datagridview data to the database file.

I'm using VB Express 2008 in Windows 7 64-bit. I'm working on a project with a datagridview bound to a MS Access 2007 database. I want to use the datagridview to add, delete and update the data in the MS Access database. When I added the database file to the project through the Datasource Configuration Wizard, I selected 'No' to copy the file to the project folder. The connection string automatically placed in the project settings is: Provider=Microsoft.ACE.OLEDB.12.0;Data Source="F:\My Money\DoBills\DoBills2009.accdb" The 'Copy to Output Directory" property for the DoBills2009DataSet.xsd is set to '*Do not copy*'(and I've tried every other setting available). So, as I understand it, I am working with the original file, not a copy, and any changes (additions, deletions, field changes, etc.) are made directly to the original file. I have added the following code to the datagridview rowleave event:

Private Sub dgvSortBills_RowLeave(ByVal sender As Object, ByVal e As System.Windows.Forms.DataGridViewCellEventArgs) Handles dgvSortBills.RowLeave
    Try
    Me.Validate()
    Me.SortBillsBindingSource.EndEdit()
    Me.TableAdapterManager.UpdateAll(Me.DoBills_2009DataSet)
    Me.DoBills_2009DataSet.AcceptChanges()
    CalcTotals() 'sub procedure that doesn't affect the datafile.
    Catch ex As Exception
    MsgBox("Update failed")
    End Try
    End Sub

Later, I'll figure out a way to skip the update if nothing is changed, but for right now, it doesn't work. I've searched MSDN, the MS Community forum and several other forums for a solution and all I have found is what I already have and it doesn't work. I can make changes at run-time alright, but the exception it triggered when I change rows, and the data is not saved to the database file. When I close/re-run the app, the changes to the data are not there. There has to be a way to save changes to the datafile, but I'm just not finding it. Can someone please help?

Re: How to save datagridview data to the database file.

Probably don't have permission to write to the F: drive
    David

CodeGuru Article: Bound Controls are Evil-VB6
    2013 Samples: MS CODE Samples

CodeGuru Reviewer
    2006 Dell CSP
    2006, 2007 & 2008 MVP Visual Basic
    If your question has been answered satisfactorily, and it has been helpful, then, please, Rate this Post!

Question Re: How to save datagridview data to the database file.

Thanks for your input, dglienna. You might be right, but if you are, it has to be because of some quirk with VB. I write to the F: drive all the time; it is my files drive. I don't store any files on the C: drive if I can help it. That's saved me many, many times.

In the DoBills_2009DataSet.xsd View Designer, the sortBillsTableAdapter has Insert Command, Delete Command, and Update Command listed as properties. Each of these call for an SQL command to insert/delete/update the data in the database. I understand SQL to query a database, but I have no clue as to SQL statements to insert/delete/update.

In my 12/18/09 post, I had the line MsgBox ("Update failed"). I have replaced that with the following:

Dim exceptionstring As String
    exceptionstring = "Type: " & ex.GetType.ToString & Chr(13) & _
    "Message: " & ex.Message.ToString & Chr(13) & _
    "Stack trace: " & ex.StackTrace.ToString
    MsgBox(exceptionstring)

So, now if I run the app and delete a row/record, for instance, I get the following error message:

Type: System.InvalidOperationException

Message: Update requires a valid DeleteCommand when passed DataRow collection with delete rows.

Stack trace: at DoBills.DoBills_2009DataSetTableManager.TableAdapt erManager.UpdateAll(DoBills_2009DataSet dataset) in F:\My Programming\DoBills\ver 6+\6-0-0\prjDoBills\DoBills_2009DataSEt.Designer.vb:line 1934 at DoBills.frmDoBills.dgvSortBills_RowLeave(Object sender, DataGridViewCellEventArgs e) in F:\My Programming\DoBills\ver 6+\6-0-0\prjDoBills\frmDoBills.vb:line 115

So, I think I need something in the Insert, Delete and Update SQL commands in the sortBillsTableAdapter. I just don't know what. Do you know or can you point me to where I can find out?

You need to supply the key when you insert or delete something, so the compiler doesn't delete EVERYTHING
    David

CodeGuru Article: Bound Controls are Evil-VB6
    2013 Samples: MS CODE Samples

CodeGuru Reviewer
    2006 Dell CSP
    2006, 2007 & 2008 MVP Visual Basic
    If your question has been answered satisfactorily, and it has been helpful, then, please, Rate this Post!

I was finally able to solve this issue. When I originally added the datafile to the app, I dragged a query from the datasource onto the form to create the datagridview, but the delete, insert and update commands in the table adapter in the .xsd file were left empty. So I removed the datasource and started over. This time I added the table rather than the query based on the table. As a result, the delete, insert and update commands were automatically created and I was the able to save changes to the datasource made through the datagridview. There are still a few little bugs I need to work out yet, but if anyone's having trouble saving changes to the datasource of a datagridview, you might check to make sure you're using a table from the datafile and not a query.