I recently got a Sony PX720 Digital Voice Recorder:

http://digitalvoicerecordersreview.c...-with-pc-link/

...but I use a Macbook Pro (mid level Penryn, bought right before the unibodies came out). As you probably read in the comments on that site, this recorder doesn't work with Mac or Linux. My computer won't recognize the device when I plug it in, in Finder or System Profiler. Even in Windows, the software needs to be installed before the recorder shows up.

I have XP installed via BootCamp. I could easily log onto that, pull the files off, and place them onto my Mac partition with MacDrive, but I don't want to. CrossOver is also on my Mac, but the commenters say that won't work either (and I really don't want to virtualize it anyway).

I'd like to know if there's a way to create a driver that could read this thing. Could I look into Sony's packaged software to find out how it's allowing the recorder to be accessible? Could I somehow hack my own USB port (through software?) so I can mess with the device on a very basic level?

At the very least, I want to be able to read this thing like a flash drive. If it's in a funky format, whatever. I'll cross that bridge when I get to it. I just want to get to the information on the recorder.

Thanks for taking the time to read through. I'd love to find a solution to this. I appreciate your help!