CodeGuru Home VC++ / MFC / C++ .NET / C# Visual Basic VB Forums Developer.com

Thread: Quitted

Quitted

Ok I quit programming desktop applications,
    they offer me nothing in return. Exessive abuse of my thinking processes along with protracted invesment into nonsense with less outcomes really distracts me. So many points have been changed for the worse alone

how you are going to persuade me to stay with VB programming language

Re: Quitted

once on my way I stop for a second to beathe in the air, that also means i absorb someone else's partialy released CO2 . i am just one in millions of people in this city.
    DOn't intrude into anything if that intrusion bring people bad results.

How very philosophic.
    Look, I'm NOT going to persuade you to stay with VB. Feel free to learn any other. There are plenty.

To make it short: VB6 is very easy to learn compared to the more advanced .NET languages. On the other hand those are the future, and nobody knows how many more windows versions VB6 will survive. Still there is much support in the web, forums like CodeGuru and many more, also all the valuable information at MSDN, which hopefully will stay for a long time.

I actually plan to step to VB.NET or C#.NET for the next app I have to make, If I'd have the time to study it closer, eat through a book, or follow some lessons.

I learned VB6 by reading a book and studying other people programs and I must say it was a considerable fast and successful process.

Seems like you think that DESKTOP applications are going anywhere?
    David

CodeGuru Article: Bound Controls are Evil-VB6
    2013 Samples: MS CODE Samples

CodeGuru Reviewer
    2006 Dell CSP
    2006, 2007 & 2008 MVP Visual Basic
    If your question has been answered satisfactorily, and it has been helpful, then, please, Rate this Post!

Quote Originally Posted by dglienna View Post
    Seems like you think that DESKTOP applications are going anywhere?
    What do you mean- really ? it must go somewhere for money, for people to use, for popularity although storing in my own computer is safer!

Slowly but surely the thin line between desktop and web functionality is blurring but there will be one part of that line that should never be crossed and that is access to the thin clients computer. So with that said, a fat client or desktop application can do more when combined with a remote server to bring the end user a truly globally interactive application (think any gaming consol that allows you to go online and compete with other people, same thing). Then on the other hand, there are a lot of applications that do not belong on the web as MS found out when they proposed the Office Online scheme where you would sign up for a monthly fee to use office products that you had to surf to.

But as for your frustration with things being changed... Well consider programming to be like the society you live in. When certain things happen, things change, and not always for the better. Many a country have experience something and because of it their people have suffered in one way or another, some more than others, and the same can be said about the individual. So if things have stayed the same, you would be using a dos based text editor and a command line compiler in the hopes that your program does not exceed 640k...