CodeGuru Home VC++ / MFC / C++ .NET / C# Visual Basic VB Forums Developer.com

Troule with amcap dependencies in DirectShow sample code from msdn

Please bear with me here. It's been forever since I did any C++ development or any Visual Studio development so I'm for all intents and purposes a full-on noob. I need help figuring out some failed dependencies.

I've just installed Visual Studio C++ 2008 Express in order to try and work with the Windows 7 SDK samples for DirectShow. Specifically, I'm trying to build amcap.

I opened the amcap project by double-clicking amcap.vcproj. This launched Visual Studio which warned me to update the project which I did -- just let the defaults run.

When I tried to build the project, I get this:

Code:
    1>------ Build started: Project: AmCap, Configuration: Debug Win32 ------
    1>Linking...
    1>LINK : fatal error LNK1104: cannot open file 'Strmbasd.lib'
    1>Build log was saved at "file://f:\c++ projects\directshow\capture\amcap\Debug\BuildLog.htm"
    1>AmCap - 1 error(s), 0 warning(s)
    ========== Build: 0 succeeded, 1 failed, 0 up-to-date, 0 skipped ==========
    I did some searching and learned that I must first build the baseclasses project. I did this also. Just doubleclicked baseclasses.vcproj and did a build which succeeded with no errors. Lacking a more detailed understanding of what files might be needed, I copied all the contents of baseclasses/Debug_MBCS into the folder where the amcap project was and tried to build again and got this result:

Code:
    1>------ Rebuild All started: Project: AmCap, Configuration: Debug Win32 ------
    1>Deleting intermediate and output files for project 'AmCap', configuration 'Debug|Win32'
    1>Compiling...
    1>amcap.cpp
    1>crossbar.cpp
    1>SampleCGB.cpp
    1>status.cpp
    1>stdafx.cpp
    1>Generating Code...
    1>Compiling resources...
    1>Microsoft (R) Windows (R) Resource Compiler Version 6.1.6723.1
    1>Copyright (C) Microsoft Corporation.  All rights reserved.
    1>Compiling manifest to resources...
    1>Microsoft (R) Windows (R) Resource Compiler Version 6.1.6723.1
    1>Copyright (C) Microsoft Corporation.  All rights reserved.
    1>Linking...
    1>amcap.obj : error LNK2019: unresolved external symbol "void __stdcall DbgAssert(wchar_t const *,wchar_t const *,int)" (?DbgAssert@@YGXPB_W0H@Z) referenced in function "int __cdecl AppInit(struct HINSTANCE__ *,struct HINSTANCE__ *,int)" (?AppInit@@YAHPAUHINSTANCE__@@0H@Z)
    1>crossbar.obj : error LNK2001: unresolved external symbol "void __stdcall DbgAssert(wchar_t const *,wchar_t const *,int)" (?DbgAssert@@YGXPB_W0H@Z)
    1>SampleCGB.obj : error LNK2001: unresolved external symbol "void __stdcall DbgAssert(wchar_t const *,wchar_t const *,int)" (?DbgAssert@@YGXPB_W0H@Z)
    1>crossbar.obj : error LNK2019: unresolved external symbol "void __cdecl DbgLogInfo(unsigned long,unsigned long,wchar_t const *,...)" (?DbgLogInfo@@YAXKKPB_WZZ) referenced in function "public: __thiscall CCrossbar::CCrossbar(struct IPin *,long *)" (??0CCrossbar@@QAE@PAUIPin@@PAJ@Z)
    1>crossbar.obj : error LNK2019: unresolved external symbol "public: __thiscall CBaseList::CBaseList(wchar_t const *,int)" (??0CBaseList@@QAE@PB_WH@Z) referenced in function "public: __thiscall CGenericList<class CRouting>::CGenericList<class CRouting>(wchar_t const *,int,int,int)" (??0?$CGenericList@VCRouting@@@@QAE@PB_WHHH@Z)
    1>Debug\AmCap.exe : fatal error LNK1120: 3 unresolved externals
    1>Build log was saved at "file://f:\c++ projects\directshow\capture\amcap\Debug\BuildLog.htm"
    1>AmCap - 6 error(s), 0 warning(s)
    ========== Rebuild All: 0 succeeded, 1 failed, 0 skipped ==========
    I haven't the slightest idea what is failing here. I'm guessing that perhaps a library is missing or misplaced or something? I'd really appreciate it if someone can help me get this sample project running. More importantly, I'd like to learn how to track down some arbitrary 'unresolved external symbol' problem so I can solve this problem myself in the general case. How does one determine the reason for this type of problem?

Re: Troule with amcap dependencies in DirectShow sample code from msdn

Hi,

I am facing the exact same problem!. Its giving the same error with vmr9allocator.
    did you get yours resolved? if so, can you please tell me how. I really need to get the program running.

thanks