CodeGuru Home VC++ / MFC / C++ .NET / C# Visual Basic VB Forums Developer.com

Thread: Math Help

Math Help

Hello, i am having some problems. Hopefully i can explain it to you without getting you to confused.

Basically i have a 2D game which has a total of 300 tiles in a 20 x 15 grid. Each tile is 32 pixels. I am trying to find the player position in one number. His x position is indicated by a variable called x likewise with this y position. But that is the total pixel position. So to get his actual tile number you need to divide by 32.

So to find out his total position i basically need to get his x number. Then times it by 20 (the number of tiles on the line) for every row of y he is down. I have a formula that sort of works. The problem is that when i walk halfway down a tile going in the y direction it starts adding numbers to my total tile. I only want it to calculate when i have moved a entire 32 pixels.

Here is my formula.

playertile = ((y / 32) * 20 + 20) + ((x / 32)) - 20;

I am aware it may be completely wrong as i suck at math. Even so this basically gets the right tile number if i am perfectly down 32 pixels. The problem is if im only down half a tile say 15 pixels it will still add some numbers.

(+ 32 is becouse i want the first tile to be 1 and not 0)
    x + 32) / 32 gets the perfect x position
    x + 32) / 32 gets the perfect y position

so how do i get my total position? i also tried : y + 32 / 32 * 20 + x + 32 / 32 but it was the same problem of moving halfway down a tile. I guess i need it to round to the nearest 32, whatever tile its closer to or something.

If you are still confused basically i want the Y below to return 26. Or the b would return 300.

xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
    xxxxxyxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
    xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
    xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
    xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
    xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
    xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
    xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
    xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
    xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
    xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
    xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
    xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
    xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
    xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxb

Anyone no how i may go about this? Thanks. I know its confusing hopefully i explained it well enough for you to understand. Thanks for any help i receive .
    Last edited by marsh; January 12th, 2010 at 10:54 PM.

Re: Math Help

Hi,

As long as you use integer arithmetic, looks like that should work. Have you declared playertile, x & y as int?

Alan

GCDEF is offline Elite Member Power Poster

If I'm following you, let's assume the values for for your position y are x = 200 and y = 50.

Step 1 is finding the row number. You can do that with y / 32, which is 1 in this case. Multiply that by 20. That gives you
    (y / 32) * 20.

Then you need to find the column number, which is x / 32, in this case 6. Add that to the previous result and you get

((y / 32) * 20) + (x / 32).

Plugging in the numbers, you get
    ((50 / 32) * 20) + (200 / 32).
    (1 * 20) + (6)
    20 + 6

Hi marsh,

Since
    playertile = ((y / 32) * 20) + (x / 32);
    is basically the same as:
    playertile = ((y / 32) * 20 + 20) + ((x / 32)) - 20;

as GCDEF points out, it should work correctly.

Alan

Quote Originally Posted by alanjhd08 View Post
    Hi,

As long as you use integer arithmetic, looks like that should work. Have you declared playertile, x & y as int?

Alan
    Sorry for wasting your guys time. I changed x and y to a float for some other calculations. So this must have broke the formula with the decimals. It works now thank you all very much.