CodeGuru Home VC++ / MFC / C++ .NET / C# Visual Basic VB Forums Developer.com

Database Programming

I have an Access Database with 2 different tables in it. Table1 lists different skills that a character class can have. Table2 has a place for the skill, and then 3 yes/no fields. What I need to do is have Table1 auto populate (from the "skill"field) to Table2's skill field so I can then check the yes/no fields. Does this make sense? Is this doable? I've been playing around with relationships for about half an hour now.. to no avail.

In-depth:
    Table1 has a field named "Skill" and a field named "Description."
    Table2 has a field named "Skill", a yes/no field named "ClassSkill", a yes/no field named "CrossClassSkill" and a yes/no field named "ProhibitedSkill." I would like to have Table1's "Skill" field populate in Table2 so I can then select the cooresponding check marks. How do I go about doing this? Is this a smart way to go about it, or would it be easier to just nix table2 and use switch/if/else statements to do it at run time? I would think the goal would be to have this data already readily available instead of having to do so many case or if/else statements...

Thanks in advance.

Re: Database Programming

Is this something you want to do in C# application or in an MS Acess form? It's not clear from your post. The relationship is relatively simple (i.e. you should be able sort out the database tables and relationships within 30 minutes). The fact that the relationship is there will do nothing for auto-populating. I'm not exactly sure what you mean by auto-populating...Are you talking about auto-populating on a user interface or autopopulating in the database table. It looks like a few people have a looked at your post. Chances are that nobody quite understands what you're trying to do hence not many replies.