CodeGuru Home VC++ / MFC / C++ .NET / C# Visual Basic VB Forums Developer.com

Dictionary questions

Hi,

this is just a sample gathered from elsewhere where i would like to go for a few doubts.

To begin with you need 2 args on the Dictionary, key and value, but even so does it still store the data Enumerated (like "key cat, value 2" is stored on position 0) ?

What would be the best approch to Enumerate my data ?
    Some way to reuse empty positions, for example, i have 10 items on it, but item 5 is null so the best way would be going thru all data to actually know that 5 is null (considering ofc u dont know it) and fill it up with some other data ? or is there an easier way of doing it (like just using d.Add(data,data) it would take in place on the null item, for example) ?

Code:
    using System;
    using System.Collections.Generic;

class Program
    {
        static void Main()
        {
            // Example Dictionary again
            Dictionary<string, int> d = new Dictionary<string, int>()
            {
                {"cat", 2},
                {"dog", 1},
                {"llama", 0},
                {"iguana", -1}
            };
            // Loop over pairs with foreach
            foreach (KeyValuePair<string, int> pair in d)
            {
                Console.WriteLine("{0}, {1}",
                    pair.Key,
                    pair.Value);
            }
            // Use var keyword to enumerate dictionary
            foreach (var pair in d)
            {
                Console.WriteLine("{0}, {1}",
                    pair.Key,
                    pair.Value);
            }
        }
    }

Re: Dictionary questions

To begin with you need 2 args on the Dictionary, key and value, but even so does it still store the data Enumerated (like "key cat, value 2" is stored on position 0) ?
    I'm not sure about that. All I would say on that point is that is a dictionary not an array where you can index by position.
    The sample you have shows you the best way to enumerate through the data.
    Some way to reuse empty positions, for example, i have 10 items on it, but item 5 is null so the best way would be going thru all data to actually know that 5 is null (considering ofc u dont know it) and fill it up with some other data ? or is there an easier way of doing it (like just using d.Add(data,data) it would take in place on the null item, for example) ?
    There isn't any null item as such. You have key value pairs. You may choose to put a null value against a particular key. You would have to iterate through the dictionary to see which keys have null values stored against. I would also mention at this point that not every dictionary will allow null values (e.g. Dictionary<String, Int32>). Think of it as a dictionary a collection of key,value pairs.
    Code:
    private void Test()
    {
       var test = new Dictionary<String, Int32>();

// The line below will set the value 35 against the key A. If the key doesn't exist it will 
       // be  created and initialised with the value 35.
       test["A"] = 35;

var test2 = new Dictionary<String, String>();

// You can also use the Add method to add entries into the dictionary. Each entry is a 
       // key value pair. You cannot have a null value unless you actually specify (if the definition 
       // of the dictionary permits it)
       test2.Add("A", null);
    }
    Hope this helps.

Nope. The documentation explicitly states that the keys are not in any specific order.

If you need to enumerate the keys in the same order you add them to your container, use a List<> or something similar.
    www.monotorrent.com For all your .NET bittorrent needs

NOTE: My code snippets are just snippets. They demonstrate an idea which can be adapted by you to solve your problem. They are not 100% complete and fully functional solutions equipped with error handling.

Thanks for the replies.

Nelo yes that is what i currently do, my own keys etc i was just trying to find out this information to make sure that was the way to go.