CodeGuru Home VC++ / MFC / C++ .NET / C# Visual Basic VB Forums Developer.com

Including console project in Windows form

Hi!

I've always programmed in C++ in console mode so I don't know very much about VC++,
    the point is that I'm trying to export my C++ console application to a Windows form (VC++) in order to have a GUI.

The problem is that i don't know how to import my application in the windows form, I've spent some days searching info on the Internet but I haven't been able to solve my problem.

The only information I've found is that i should create a class for my console application and
    call this class in the windows form, but i don't know how to call the class in the windows form and also i'm not sure if I should do it in that way (maybe I should create a .dll?)

Thanks in advance.

Re: Including console project in Windows form

1. Create a project for a windows application.
    2. Write lines of code for the GUI part.
    3. Insert a line:
    Code:
    system("c:\\dir_1\\my_console_app.exe")

Why bother ?

your program seems to be working fine in console mode now. Noting wrong with that.

If all your GUI application ends up doing is just simulating a console type program you've just succedded in doing a lot of work to get a gob of extra code size that achieves essentially nothing.

i'm not saying making a GUI program is necessarily a bad thing, if you havea lot of input, or could benefit from feaures like built in configuration dialogs instead of using commandline parameters etc... then maybe, but turning a console program into a fully functional takes more than just wrapping all the code into a GUI.

For one, a Console program is always responsive, this isn't the case for GUI, you'll likely need to create a worker thread for the work, and have your GUI thread respond to and submit work to that worker thread. Stuff like this can very easily turn a 100lines of console program into several thousand lines of GUI program for very little (if any) actual benefit.

your program seems to be working fine in console mode now. Noting wrong with that.
    Because it's fun ?

Simply create a GUI project and move the essential code from your console application to your GUI application.

@olivthill2: thanks for the help, but I don't want to execute the .exe file, i want to access to the functions and modify some variables for my console project, but using a GUI. I hope I'm explaining well :S

@OReubens & @Skizmo: I know that there will be a lot of more work to do if I do it in windows form, but the main idea is this (I think I didn't explain it very well):

- I have the console project with the functions, variables and all this stuff, so what I would like to do is exporting this to a Windows form, for example: - show the results in the windows form, - use some functions from the console app, - be able to have access to different variables in the windows form... and this stuff.

That's why I thought that I should create a class for my console project, and call the functions and all the things I explained before, in the Windows form.

The problem is that i don't know if a class is what I should do and if so, how I have to do it.

Thanks in advance again,