CodeGuru Home VC++ / MFC / C++ .NET / C# Visual Basic VB Forums Developer.com

Question An issue with the file name SerialPortSettings.xml

Colleagues,

In XAML I’m trying to declare XmlDataProvider objects to bind controls to XML files.
    Code:
    <XmlDataProvider x:Key="SerialPortOptions" Source="Settings/SerialPortOptions.xml" XPath="//Options" /> <!—- This one works.  No complaints. -->
    <XmlDataProvider x:Key="SerialPortSetting" Source="Settings/SerialPortSettings.xml" XPath="//SerialPorts" /> <!—- But this one gives an error. -->
    The second instance generates an error:
    The file Settings/SerialPortSettings.xml is not part of the project or its 'Build Action' property is not set to 'Resource'.
    The SerialPortSettings.xml file is added to the project and the Build Action is set to ‘Resource’. If I rename the file to SerialPortSettingses.xml, the error disappears. What’s special or unusual about the original file name SerialPortSettings.xml?

Cheers,
    - Nick

Re: An issue with the file name SerialPortSettings.xml

I think there is nothing special about the name, but maybe it should correspond to the key? In the first case, key is same as filename (SerialPortOptions), in second the key is SerialPortSetting, while file name (you want it to be) SerialPortSettings.xml. There also could be some garbage somewhere in solution/project. Try to delete .suo file and labore with build action, e.g. set it to Embeded Resource and back and so on...
    • Make it run.
    • Make it right.
    • Make it fast.

Don't hesitate to rate my post.