CodeGuru Home VC++ / MFC / C++ .NET / C# Visual Basic VB Forums Developer.com

Accessing website data

Ok, i am trying to get a program to connect to a website and grab information. I want to be able to get my grades in school and be able to display them in a program, but i don't know how to get the data from the website to begin with. Can anyone show me how to do this?

Re: Accessing website data

You will have to replicate http requests inside of your application.

GET request to pull the information
    POST to login. You will need to know how to encode the principal object used for authentication against the website storing your grades.
    ------
    If you are satisfied with the responses, add to the user's rep!

When you say "get the values and store them in an application", do you mean display them on a website, or in some desktop application? It makes a huge difference as to whether your not you are going to make web service calls or simply create a web page.

In a program on my desktop. I want it to login into the website and retrieve my grades and re-display them in a new program so it makes it easier to access.

In that case, unless they provide a web service for you to call and retrieve the data (the better of the two functions), you are going to have a hard time doing this. You might be able to pass the login and password in the url via parameters, if you know the parameter names they are expecting, but I would expect them to be salting and hashing the password. In which case, you won't be able to do this because you don't know their algorithms for such.

Quote Originally Posted by ProgramThis View Post
    In that case, unless they provide a web service for you to call and retrieve the data (the better of the two functions), you are going to have a hard time doing this. You might be able to pass the login and password in the url via parameters, if you know the parameter names they are expecting, but I would expect them to be salting and hashing the password. In which case, you won't be able to do this because you don't know their algorithms for such.
    Is there a way i can find out if it is hashed or not?