CodeGuru Home VC++ / MFC / C++ .NET / C# Visual Basic VB Forums Developer.com

How to get Help in VS 2010 for C# ?

Hi all,

I am new to C#, and recently started learning it. But my problem is that I cannot get built-in Help. Despite of that I set to use Local Help, it leads me to some Internet site IP 127.0.0.1 (I guess it's Microsoft), but not Local Help.

Do I do something wrong ? Did I miss to install Help from disk ?

Thanks

Re: How to get Help in VS 2010 for C# ?

i dont think there is local for it all i know of is the website.
    .NET4.0 / VS 2010

Re: How to get Help in VS 2010 for C# ?

Hi, Georgeos: 127.0.0.1 is the so-called loopback address (localhost), and it's a way of referring to your own computer (so, it's not a web site, it's a place on your hard drive). Local help can be installed with VS, IIRC, and it's displayed in a browser-like help system. But, you should also be made aware of the MSDN Library (Microsoft Developer Network), which contains extensive, up-to-date help/documentation on VS, C# and other languages, .NET Library and more, as well as some community content.

It is such an important tool, so whenever you need to check out a class, what's it for, and how it works, google up "msdn name_of_the_class_here". The documentation for types consists of the declaration, all the properties/metods/fields/events, followed by a Remarks section that discusses the type in more detail, and usually some example code.

Here are some quick links (all MSDN):
    MSDN Library Home
    .NET Framework Class Library - library reference (types (classes, structs, ...) organized in namespaces)
    Development Tools and Languages
    Visual Studio 2010
    Visual C#
    C# Programming Guide - information and practical examples
    C# Reference - language reference, syntax, constructs...
    Visual C# Samples and Walkthroughs

P.S. I think it's also possible to download and instal the MSDN library (or parts of it) as local help, but if you have a working, stable internet connection, you can rely on the online lib.
    Last edited by TheGreatCthulhu; June 29th, 2012 at 05:58 AM.