dcsimg
CodeGuru Home VC++ / MFC / C++ .NET / C# Visual Basic VB Forums Developer.com

Thread: Calling remote dll in a load balanced mode

Calling remote dll in a load balanced mode

Hello everybody,

I need to call from a client functions contained in remote dlls. These dlls are stored in 3 (or more) computers that are controlled from another pc that has the role of load balancer.

What I want is:

1- send to the load balancer a request of execution of a function, with the name of dll and data needed,
    2- I need the load balancer to route the request on the more free computer that could execute the function
    3- the computer that execute the function must answer back to the client.

A little schema:

CLIENT ---> LOAD_BAL ----> COMPUTER 1 with dlls
    ----> COMPUTER 2 with dlls
    ----> COMPUTER 3 with dlls
    <------------------ send answer

I found something that I think does the work, but I can't use it: CLB Component Load Balancing. I read online it was a solution running
    on Microsoft Application Server, but nowadays it's obsolete and moreover not deployable on modern IIS versions.

Is there something similar for IIS7/Win 2008 Server? Which is the .net Microsoft solution to this problem...I can't believe they removed CLB without replacing with a newer solution

Paul

Re: Calling remote dll in a load balanced mode

Hi Paul,

Do you have any control over the dlls? I would suggest deploying the functionality as web services (or WCF services) on IIS in a load balanced environment. Then you client application will just be concerned with calling the services it needs. The server configuration will sort out where the request get's handled. I'm not sure you would need to talk to the load balancer directly. The load balancing shouldn't affect how client applications connect to the services being provided by the servers (via the relevant dlls...).

I had the same idea, but a problem arises:

I understood I need to expose the functions offered by dlls as WCF services...but I don't want to write by hand these services (lot of dlls).

So, how can I obtain automatically WCF services that expose the same functionalities that are inside my dlls?

With the CLB this problem wouldn't exist... but with WCF solution I need to create a WCF service for every function in dlls...or am I missing something?

It sounds to me like you have some useful functionality in some dlls. You a have a client applicationt that would like to benefit from that functionality. Somewhere some code must be written to fulfill the requirement. Yes you would have to hand code the WCF services that would mainly be exposing on the functions you actually need and gradually build up the functionality. I'm not sure how the original dlls are deployed. If they were COM+ components you would be able to use Component Services to access the functions remotely (within the same network). Maybe DCOM is an option if you can't do COM+. Is that an option for you? You mentioned the Component Load Balancing. That would have been an option. I found out it uses COM+ which I believe is still supported. By the way in Point 3 in you first post you mentioned that the computer that executes the function must answer the client. How do you see that happening? Perhaps what's important for the client to receive an answer (i.e. it doesn't have to be directly from the computer).

When you consider all this I think you will have to make some investment in terms of code to get the behaviour you want whichever approach you use. You could even go with MSMQ if you wanted to...