CodeGuru Home VC++ / MFC / C++ .NET / C# Visual Basic VB Forums Developer.com

String2DataType function

Hi,

I want to implement a function that take a given a string and return, if it exists, a data type so it can be used for casting later. Here's an example of what I'd like to accomplish:

(String2DataType("System.Windows.Forms.Form"))object;
    obj.Show();

Is there such a function in c# or at least a way to implement that?

Regards.

Re: String2DataType function

Casting is a compile time process, not runtime. If you need to dynamically create an object of an unknown type at runtime you will need to look into reflection and you will also need an interface so that you can use the object in your code.

I have no idea what you are trying to achieve.
    win7 x86, VS 2008 & 2010, C++/CLI, C#, .NET 3.5 & 4.0, VB.NET, VBA... WPF is comming

remeber to give feedback you think my response deserves recognition? perhaps you may want to click the Rate this post link/button and add to my reputation

private lessons are not an option so please don't ask for help in private, I won't replay

if you use Opera and you'd like to have the tab-button functionality for the texteditor take a look at my Opera Tab-UserScirpt; and if you know how to stop firefox from jumping to the next control when you hit tab let me know

I think what you need is to Use Activator.CreateInstance to create an object from a string:
    Check: http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/libr...8VS.71%29.aspx
    Hesham A. Amin
    My blog , Articles

<a rel=https://twitter.com/HeshamAmin" border="0" /> @HeshamAmin

So you have the name of the type and you want to cast and object to that type.

Somebody have had a similar problem over at stack overflow check it out, it might help you:
    http://stackoverflow.com/questions/7...representation

Thank you all for your replies. I changed the implementation so I won't require to do it, it was a poor design that has thrown me to the place I needed to do that.
    I was sending serialized objects through the network. I wanted to add a header string in each message indicating the object being serialized so the other side can cast it in the right way.
    I'm not sending serialized objects anymore, messages are embedded within a xml structure.
    Thank you all, again. I really appreciate it.

Best regards.