CodeGuru Home VC++ / MFC / C++ .NET / C# Visual Basic VB Forums Developer.com

Using single BindingNavigator with multiple data sources

Hi,
    I have a winforms app access a database with 6 tables. Out of 6, I am showing 3 tables on three different tabs on my Form. However, I want to do it using a single binding navigator that will use / change the respective binding source dynamically, depending on the tab that is activated by the user. Any help in this regards, would be appreciated. I have separate binding source for each of the three tables.
    Thanks before hand
    Bhushan

Re: Using single BindingNavigator with multiple data sources

Post some of the code that you have. (and, if it works...)
    Code:
    ' remember to use CODE TAGS
    David

CodeGuru Article: Bound Controls are Evil-VB6
    2013 Samples: MS CODE Samples

CodeGuru Reviewer
    2006 Dell CSP
    2006, 2007 & 2008 MVP Visual Basic
    If your question has been answered satisfactorily, and it has been helpful, then, please, Rate this Post!

Hi,
    Underneath is the code fragment, I am trying to work with...the code is self explanatory and names are contextual and relevant. For instance, as I mentioned before, database has 6 tables ...3 main course and 3 others with each one having a relationship with one of the main course tables..Considering table 1 as Tab1 and its related table to be Tab1Rel, the binding sources for each are tab1BdSrc and tab1RelBdSrc respectively and like wise for remaining tables...GetDataBO1() returns a combined dataset of Tab1 rows and related Tab1Rel rows in a single data set object....and like wise for other datasets...
    After explaining this, my problem is just bindingnavigator and bindingsource specific...i.e., even if I do not use object data sources, the concept still remain fairly similar. I just want to change the binding source of a binding navigator at runtime depending on what tab user selects...

Code:
    Public Sub OnTab1()
        tab1BdSrc.DataSource = BLL.MyBizObj1.GetBOData1()        'Get complete data for both tables
        tab1RelBdSrc.DataSource = tab1BdSrc       'Retrieve the related rows only
        tab1RelBdSrc.DataMember = "tab1RelBdSrcobject member inside tab1BdSrc"
        If tabCommonBdNavig.BindingSource <> Nothing Then
            tabCommonBdNavig.BindingSource = Nothing
        tabCommonBdNavig.BindingSource = tab1BdSrc
    End Sub

Public Sub OnTab2()
        tab2BdSrc.DataSource = BLL.MyBizObj2.GetBOData2()        'Get complete data for both tables
        tab2RelBdSrc.DataSource = tab2BdSrc       'Retrieve the related rows only
        tab2RelBdSrc.DataMember = "tab2RelBdSrcobject member inside tab2BdSrc"
        tabCommonBdNavig.BindingSource = tab2BdSrc
    End Sub

Public Sub OnTab3()
        tab3BdSrc.DataSource = BLL.MyBizObj3.GetBOData3()        'Get complete data for both tables
        tab3RelBdSrc.DataSource = tab3BdSrc       'Retrieve the related rows only
        tab3RelBdSrc.DataMember = "tab3RelBdSrcobject member inside tab3BdSrc"
        tabCommonBdNavig.BindingSource = tab3BdSrc
    End Sub
    This code does compile, but when I execute the application, I am able to navigate only through the rows in the first data table / object using the binding navigator tool bar. When I go to 2nd and 3rd tab, the control don't seem to allow me to navigate through the records in the 2nd and 3rd data table / object respectively. I have an option of using three different navigators, but I simply do not see a reason to include that many number of binding navigators as bound data objects. There must be some way, I can change the binding source depending on the user actions. Or wait...is using generics the answer to my questions? Please let me know ...
    Thanks,
    Bhushan

Well...it seems that this is not going to work. And since I have a certain deadline, I would defer it for the later. Right now, I have decided to use 3 different binding navigators and get the job done. However, they would have worked if all the different tables were on the same form. In my case, I have 3 tables under 3 different tabs. So, I think...the notification to the 2nd and 3rd tabs is not being send. Everything else looks fine...3 binding sources bound to 3 different binding navigators for 3 different tables....what else would be needed? yet the 2nd and 3rd tab pages are not reacting to the binding navigator outside the tab control. So I would like to have some info on how I could make this work...
    Thanks
    Bhushan