CodeGuru Home VC++ / MFC / C++ .NET / C# Visual Basic VB Forums Developer.com

[RESOLVED] XML Bulk Load in setup project? -Please Help-

Hi,

I'm using the XML Bulk Load COM object in a windows service to write xml files to a database. I'm trying to create a setup project for my service, to make distribution easier. The setup project has detected the Interop.SQLXMLBULKLOADLib.dll and xblkld4.dll files as dependencies (as well as the .NET framework), but when i run the installer the setup project creates I'm faced with an error saying:

Module C:\<Installer's valid file path>\xblkld4.dll failed to register. HRESULT -2147024770. Contact your support personnel.

In the setup project's file system both the Interop.SQLXMLBULKLOADLib.dll namespace and the xblkld4.dll file are included in the Application Folder, along with the primary output.

Does anyone know how to resolve this problem? I'm very new to setup projects, and fairly new to C# as a language, so my apologies if i've missed something obvious! Any help would be appreciated!

Re: XML Bulk Load in setup project? -Please Help-

Hey guys-

I ran into this exact issue today while trying to deploy my program. I literally copied and pasted the above question out of a post someone had on another forum, because it was the exact same issue, but it went unresolved.

I figured out the answer, however, and will share since it seems many have had this problem in the past.

First off, the reason for the initial errors were other DLLs that I needed (dependencies of xblkld4.dll) were not recognized by VS 2008. Initially this was a hypothesis (I mean, to think that VS would not be perfect for me!) so I tested it by running the following command.

Code:
     regsvr32 /s "C:\Path\to\xblkld4.dll"
    Before doing this, I set up Procmon and added filters to specifically capture FileSystem events from regsvr32.exe. By doing this I was able to deduce that the file xblkld4.dll also relied on sqlxml4m.dll and xblkld4r.dll.

After seeing this, I added these two files to my program and specifically set them to 'vsdrfDoNotRegister' and only had the needed file xblkld4.dll set to 'vsdrfCOMSelfReg'.

I went ahead and hit build and installed the program on another machine, and bam, no issues. Hopefully, this helps people who run into this in the future.

Take care-
    Ellias