CodeGuru Home VC++ / MFC / C++ .NET / C# Visual Basic VB Forums Developer.com

Button click event within a ControlTemplate?

Hi,

I have a class which derives from TextBox called EntryTextBox and provides a PreviewKeyDown event handler (although for the purposes of this question, it's not relevant).

I have produced a ControlTemplate within a style as follows:

<Style TargetType="{x:Type my:EntryTextBox}">
    <Setter Property="Template">
    <Setter.Value>
    <ControlTemplate TargetType="{x:Type my:EntryTextBox}">
    <DockPanel>
    <Border BorderThickness="1" HorizontalAlignment="Stretch" BorderBrush="DarkGray" Background="White" Width="100">
    <DockPanel>
    <Button DockPanel.Dock="Right" Visibility="{Binding Path=KeyboardPopup,Converter={StaticResource VisibilityConverter},RelativeSource={RelativeSource TemplatedParent}}">
    <ContentControl Width="15" Height="10" Template="{StaticResource KeyboardIconContent}"/>
    </Button>
    <ScrollViewer Margin="0" Background="Transparent" HorizontalAlignment="Stretch" x:Name="PART_ContentHost"/>
    </DockPanel>
    </Border>
    </DockPanel>
    </ControlTemplate>
    </Setter.Value>
    </Setter>
    </Style>

Which as you can see displays a Button as part of the TextEntry box depending on the value of KeyboardPopup. This works fine, but I want to be able to act on the button's click handler from within my EntryTextBox class but don't know how to do it.

I've read in "Pro WPF in C# 2008, Matthew MacDonald, P872" that you need to "give your elements recognisable names and attach event handlers to them programatically in the control constructor" but I am unsure of the syntax I should use in the class constructor of EntryTextBox.

Can anyone help me?

Cheers

Richard

Arjay is offline Moderator / EX MS MVP Power Poster

Re: Button click event within a ControlTemplate?

I'd use a routed ui command

Create the command
    Code:
    public static classAppCommands
    {
      publicstaticRoutedUICommand KbPopup = newRoutedUICommand("_Popup", "KbPopup", typeof(AppCommands));
    }

Use it in the template
    Code:
    <Style TargetType="{x:Type my:EntryTextBox}">
      <Setter Property="Template">
        <Setter.Value>
          <ControlTemplate TargetType="{x:Type my:EntryTextBox}">
            <DockPanel>
              <Border BorderThickness="1" HorizontalAlignment="Stretch" BorderBrush="DarkGray" Background="White" Width="100">
              <DockPanel>
                <Button DockPanel.Dock="Right" 
    Command="{x:Static my:AppCommands.KbPopup}"
     Visibility="{Binding Path=KeyboardPopup,Converter={StaticResource VisibilityConverter},RelativeSource={RelativeSource TemplatedParent}}">
                  <ContentControl Width="15" Height="10" Template="{StaticResource KeyboardIconContent}"/>
                </Button>
                <ScrollViewer Margin="0" Background="Transparent" HorizontalAlignment="Stretch" x:Name="PART_ContentHost"/>
               </DockPanel>
              </Border>
            </DockPanel>
          </ControlTemplate>
        </Setter.Value>
      </Setter>
    </Style>

Wire up the command bindings in the UserControl
    Code:
    <UserControl.CommandBindings>
      <CommandBinding Command="{x:Static my:AppCommands.KbPopup}" CanExecute="OnKbPopupCanExecute" Executed="OnAddSchedule" />
    </UserControl.CommandBindings>