CodeGuru Home VC++ / MFC / C++ .NET / C# Visual Basic VB Forums Developer.com

Take 'Backup' of SQL Server Compact database

Hi All,

Is it possible to take Backup of SQL Server Compact database (i.e. *.sdf) and Restore the same.

Regards.

Re: Take 'Backup' of SQL Server Compact database

Quote Originally Posted by team_ferrari22 View Post
    Is it possible to take Backup of SQL Server Compact database (i.e. *.sdf) and Restore the same?
    Well...you probably have to think about SQL Server Ce in different way. All you have is the data file (*.sdf) and some libraries to access the data. You connect to the database by specifying the file. You don't have a database server in the classical sense. So the concept of backup and restoring doesn't apply. If you want to back up just make a copy of the file. When you want to restore overwrite the current file with the copy of the previous. Maybe you're looking for a way to automate this...but all you're doing is standard operations (copy, paste, move) on an file with an SDF extension.

Thank you for your reply.

One more doubt we have, that is can we restore backup file taken by SQL Server (i.e.*.bak) to SQL Server Compact database or convert .bak file to .sdf file in any way? or any tools available for such activities?

Regards

I would think that you can use Sql Server Management Studio to accomplish some of what you want. I don't think you can make a .bak into a .sdf. The .bak would have features that are not supported in SQL Server CE. But perhaps you can use the Import/Export utility to export the data from one database to the SQL Server CE. I've never tried it but its worth looking at...