CodeGuru Home VC++ / MFC / C++ .NET / C# Visual Basic VB Forums Developer.com

size of an object

I read somewhere that non-virtual non-static member functions do not add to the size of a class object, but can someone tell me where they are stored in memory. Static members functions, which also do not add to the size of a class object, are stored in static data segment, correct?

I was also looking into how virtual inheritance affects size of a subclass, and ran into the following link.
    http://www.cprogramming.com/tutorial...ss_object.html

This cites the following example that I do not think is correct. Why is the size of Bbase 12- should not it be 8 (4 bytes for iMem (overrides base class imem) and one vptr)?
    Also, should not sizeof (ABCDerived) be 20 (if iMem do not override then 16 bytes for iMem and 4 for vptr)?

---
    class ABase{
    int iMem;
    };

class BBase : public virtual ABase {
    int iMem;
    };

class CBase : public virtual ABase {
    int iMem;
    };

class ABCDerived : public BBase, public CBase {
    int iMem;
    };

And if you check the size of these classes, it will be:

* Size of ABase : 4
    * Size of BBase : 12
    * Size of CBase : 12
    * Size of ABCDerived : 24
    --

Re: size of an object

Quote Originally Posted by abeginner
    Why is the size of Bbase 12- should not it be 8 (4 bytes for iMem (overrides base class imem) and one vptr)?
    The BBase's iMem member variable is different from ABase's iMem member variable.

Be careful about claims that an object's size will be some specific value. Unless a particular compiler is named with a given configuration and platform, the size may actually be different from what is reasoned out as it is ultimately implementation defined.
    C + C++ Compiler: MinGW port of GCC
    Build + Version Control System: SCons + Bazaar

Look up a C/C++ Reference and learn How To Ask Questions The Smart Way
    Kindly rate my posts if you found them useful

Disregard.

Where are non-virtual non-static member functions stored?

where are static member functions stored?

Why is sizeof (ABCDerived) be 24 and not 20 (if iMem do not override then 16 bytes for iMem and 4 for vptr)?

The iMem value is not over-ridden.

If you want to check it, try removing virtual from the above program & you can see that the size of the classes would decrease by 4(size of VP).

And the size is 24 because it is dealing with two virtual pointers.

4 * 4 bytes(iMem's of individual classes) = 16bytes
    2 * 4 bytes(Virtual pointers)= 8 bytes .

i.e (16+8) = 24 bytes

Shouldn't it be a just 1 vptr, not 2?

Quote Originally Posted by abeginner View Post
    Shouldn't it be a just 1 vptr, not 2?
    It could be 0 vptrs.

How a compiler handles all of these things is implementation defined. All of the answers you've been given is highly dependent on the compiler implementation.

Read what laserlight wrote in his post:
    Be careful about claims that an object's size will be some specific value. Unless a particular compiler is named with a given configuration and platform, the size may actually be different from what is reasoned out as it is ultimately implementation defined.
    Regards,

Paul McKenzie

Fine but in a common compiler such as gcc implements it as vptr/vtbl mechanism. For gcc, does anyone know why it should not be 1 vptr but 2?

does anyone know why it should not be 1 vptr but 2?
    Does this example help?
    Code:
    #include <iostream>
    using namespace std;

struct Automobile
    {
        virtual int GetNumberOfSeats(void) const = 0;
    };

struct Sedan : virtual public Automobile
    {
        virtual int GetNumberOfSeats(void) const { return  6; }
    };

struct Pickup : virtual public Automobile
    {
        virtual int GetNumberOfSeats(void) const { return 3; }
    };

// see <http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chevrolet_El_Camino>
    struct ChevyElCamino : public Sedan, public Pickup
    {
        virtual int GetNumberOfSeats(void) const
        {
            return static_cast<Pickup>(*this).GetNumberOfSeats();
        };
    };

void main(void)
    {
        ChevyElCamino automobile;
        cout << automobile.GetNumberOfSeats() << endl;

Automobile * pAuto   = &automobile;
        Sedan      * pSedan  = &automobile;
        Pickup     * pPickup = &automobile;

cout << *reinterpret_cast<int *>(&pAuto  ) << endl;
        cout << *reinterpret_cast<int *>(&pSedan ) << endl;
        cout << *reinterpret_cast<int *>(&pPickup) << endl;

char c;
        cin >> c;
    }
    When I run this, I get
    I'm using MS VC++ on a 64 bit machine, but I assume gcc uses the same strategies. When this casts the automobile object to its different base-classes, the address returned is the address of the v-table pointer for the specific parent object (in this case three such pointers exist).

The reason there are two (or three) instead of one has to do with the way multiple inheritance works. You have told the compiler to include all the functionality from the Sedan and Pickup classes (i.e. the BBase and CBase classes). In this example, the differing functionality offered by the member functions makes more clear that the inherited functionality is indeed overriding the Automobile class, but the Pickup class and the Sedan class do not override each-other. Both must be present in the ElCamino class. That's why there are two v-table pointers. The compiler relies on you in the ElCamino or ABCDerived class to disambiguate (via casting) which parent object you really want to use at any point.
    Last edited by GeoRanger; February 22nd, 2010 at 12:20 AM. Reason: fix problem with indirection in reinterpret_cast

Yeah Well,

if we talk about abeginners previous example, if we remove the virtual keywords, the size of his ABCD Derived would come to 20.

Now in this case , if their are two virtual pointers it would have been decreased by 8 ,aint it.

so is it like this,when you inherit, the size of the base class is added to your derievd class(im not sure).

sizeof ABCDDerived = sizeof its own members +sizeof BBase+sizeofCBase+ VP if any
    24 = 4+ 8 + 8 + 4

& hence if i remove the virtual keyword it comes to 20.

Wat say fellas....

With MS VC++, the decreased size is because the ABase v-table pointer is moved out of ABCDerived as ABase (including its v-table pointer) is reunitied (as two copies) with BBase and CBase.

The previous cautions by Paul McKenzie and laserlight deserve emphasis. Perhaps you might be able to expect the discussed behavior for any COM-compliant compiler, but it would be bad programming practice to write code dependent on this behavior. Apart from curiosity and learning exercises, if you see sizeof() used on a class which has a v-table, this is normally an automatic red flag that something's fishy. (There are some exceptions to this generalization which have to do with things like placement new, but I only mention that here because I know someone challenge the generalization if I don't.)
    Last edited by GeoRanger; February 23rd, 2010 at 12:22 AM. Reason: clarify sentence about exception to generalization