CodeGuru Home VC++ / MFC / C++ .NET / C# Visual Basic VB Forums Developer.com

Hybrid View

Question GUI Program Pack?

I would have searched the forum for this but I have no idea what you would call something like like this, I want to make a GUI with buttons on it. That have a name of a Program (Example: Firefox) Then when that button is pushed it exec's the Firefox Installer Kinda get what I mean? Its basically a GUI with Multiple Programs in ONE.

Im sure I can make the GUI with no problems, But I have no idea how to get all the installers INTO the program it self, and How to link them to the Buttons.

Please Help?

Im using VB6.

Thank you.

Re: GUI Program Pack?

Quote Originally Posted by LawlCakes View Post
    Im sure I can make the GUI with no problems, But I have no idea how to get all the installers INTO the program it self, and How to link them to the Buttons.
    What do you mean by getting the installers into the program? Embedding them? I think you just need to add the other installers in your application installer that extracts them to file system. When the user clicks the button, you can invoke the corresponding setup application using Shell Function
    Hesham A. Amin
    My blog , Articles

<a rel=https://twitter.com/HeshamAmin" border="0" /> @HeshamAmin

Re: GUI Program Pack?

You could include the installers as resources.
    You are allowed to add binary files of any kind as a resource to your program. Use the resource editor for that purpose.
    As an example add FireFoxSetup.exe as resource 101 to your program.
    When clicking the FireFox button, first save resource 101 as firefoxsetup.exe to disk (temporary folder or wherever), then Shell() to it.
    Best you wait until setup is finished and clean things up afterwards.

The other question is if you are allowed to do something like this... don't know about the distribution rights of FireFox.