CodeGuru Home VC++ / MFC / C++ .NET / C# Visual Basic VB Forums Developer.com

Not sure what I need to learn

I am currently on my way to a Bachelors in Computer Science. While I am going to school, I want to equipt myself with the skills of programming to make myself marketable to a company. Ive been looking at a lot of requirements for applicants and most of them require either C sharp programming or C++ and many others. My question to people who are currently working as an employee in a computer company is where should I start out learning about programming and my second one is where do you foresee programming in the future? For the record, I am wanting to become a programmer but am unsure as to which type of language I would like to go towards which is why I would like many peoples input. Thanks everybody. By the way, I live in the western part of the United States if that makes any difference.

Re: Not sure what I need to learn

Well, I think a programmer that knows only one language has a big problem. Nowadays application development involves different technologies and languages. C++, C++/CLI, C#, ASP.NET, COM, Silverlight, web services, etc. all in a single product, it's not unusually, on the contrary. If you want to be a good programmer and be able to work in such environments knowing more than just a programming language is a must. Learning C# and C++ and Java is not that hard. They have very similar syntax. What is different is the libraries/frameworks built on top of them.

So my advice to you is that you widen your vision and learn several things. You will only benefit from it.
    Marius Bancila
    Home Page
    My CodeGuru articles

I do not offer technical support via PM or e-mail. Please use vbBulletin codes.