CodeGuru Home VC++ / MFC / C++ .NET / C# Visual Basic VB Forums Developer.com

Exclamation Eclipse is always locked [High CPU & RAM usage]

Hello everyone,

I'm using Eclipse Galileo RC2 (the latest distrubition of Eclipse), it is always locked.. After a little time from startup it starts to use too much CPU and RAM.
    And not a long time, it hardly replies to user interactions.

I really need your helps. As I know from my friends, I'm not the only one who has this problem. Are there anyone who knows the solution to solve this problem/bug.

Thanx in advance,
    T

Re: Eclipse is always locked [High CPU & RAM usage]

The first place I would try would be Eclipse forums. Eclipse executable has tons of params, among them there are several ones which define Eclipse java heap space and memory consumption of the IDE. Read docs and Eclipse forums for more... Also I would add that it's an RC version, not final release, so some serious bugs are probable.
    Last edited by Xeel; March 10th, 2010 at 04:16 PM.
    Wanna install linux on a vacuum cleaner. Could anyone tell me which distro sucks better?

I had a nightmare last night. I was dreaming that I’m 64-bit and my blanket is 32-bit and I couldn’t cover myself with it, so I’ve spent the whole night freezing. And in the morning I find that my blanket just had fallen off the bed. =S (from: bash.org.ru)

//always looking for job opportunities in AU/NZ/US/CA/Europe :P
    willCodeForFood(Arrays.asList("Java","PHP","C++","bash","Assembler","XML","XHTML","CSS","JS","PL/SQL"));

USE [code] TAGS! Read this FAQ if you are new here. If this post was helpful, please rate it!

Quote Originally Posted by talha06 View Post
    Hello everyone,

I'm using Eclipse Galileo RC2 (the latest distrubition of Eclipse), it is always locked.. After a little time from startup it starts to use too much CPU and RAM.
    First, I agree with Xeel, be sure to check at the Eclipse forums.

Second, Galileo RC2 is definitely not the latest Eclipse. I'm running Galileo final and have been for some time. I don't have the problems you describe.

Try getting the latest release from the download link on the Eclipse.org page. Your RC could be the problem.

Quote Originally Posted by ajhampson View Post
    First, I agree with Xeel, be sure to check at the Eclipse forums.

Second, Galileo RC2 is definitely not the latest Eclipse. I'm running Galileo final and have been for some time. I don't have the problems you describe.

Try getting the latest release from the download link on the Eclipse.org page. Your RC could be the problem.
    Sorry, I wrote wrong by mistake, my version is Eclipse Galileo SR2.. By the way I searched a lot, and did what people recommend. But it's still same.. So I opened a topic..

Thanx..

dlorde is offline Elite Member Power Poster

This is a Java forum, not all of us use Eclipse. Now that you have posted your problem in the Eclipse forums, which is the appropriate place for your query, you should stop cross-posting here.

The cheapest, fastest, and most reliable components of a computer system are those that aren't there...
    G. Bell
    Please use [CODE]...your code here...[/CODE] tags when posting code. If you get an error, please post the full error message and stack trace, if present.

Quote Originally Posted by dlorde View Post
    This is a Java forum, not all of us use Eclipse. Now that you have posted your problem in the Eclipse forums, which is the appropriate place for your query, you should stop cross-posting here.
    So can u say me my mistake?? what's wrong here??

Try netbeans, although it is resource hog as well.

http://www.myeclipseide.com - and problems are over...
    Wanna install linux on a vacuum cleaner. Could anyone tell me which distro sucks better?

I had a nightmare last night. I was dreaming that I’m 64-bit and my blanket is 32-bit and I couldn’t cover myself with it, so I’ve spent the whole night freezing. And in the morning I find that my blanket just had fallen off the bed. =S (from: bash.org.ru)

willCodeForFood(Arrays.asList("Java","PHP","C++","bash","Assembler","XML","XHTML","CSS","JS","PL/SQL"));

USE [code] TAGS! Read this FAQ if you are new here. If this post was helpful, please rate it!

I'm not sure what kind of computer you're running.

I routinely (and at the time of this posting) am using 2 eclipse IDEs open (seperate workspaces for trunk and branches), as well as flex builder (another eclipse based off 3.1) and this is all running fine. CPU usage isn't anything out of the ordinary, each is using about half gig of memory. These are each using WTP, AJDT, subclipse and maven integration plugins.

Q6600 quad
    4 gigs of ram

not exactly a powerhouse workstation.

What is too much cpu / ram to you, what plugins do you have installed?

Are you launching each in it's own VM? I always run my eclipse as follows:

Code:
    C:\eclipse\eclipse.exe -vm "C:\Program Files (x86)\Java\jdk1.5.0_22\bin\javaw.exe"
    Last edited by Deliverance; March 12th, 2010 at 01:33 PM.
    ------
    If you are satisfied with the responses, add to the user's rep!

my laptop has 3GB RAM, AMD Turion 64 x2 CPU.. I didn't installed any plugins except Hibernate. I run eclipse like u do.. and this problem isn't occured to me, there're many people who has this problem/bug.. I'm searching a way to solve this prob. thanx for ur interest..

Run MyEclipse 8.0GA (based on Eclipse 3.5) on a lap with 1GB RAM and Intel Centrino (1 core) without a problem.

It looks like something else is causing problems on his machine. I seriously doubt that it has anything to do with eclipse. Maybe there are some security settings preventing the automatic updates. Perhaps the OP has some Cisco agent running in the background taking up CPU and memory.

I am with Deliverance. Currently I have two eclipse projects open, one is taking up 214MB of ram, the other 92MB. I have firefox open with about 40 tabs and that is taking up 395 MB of memory. CPU utilization is < 25% and I have 2.44GB of memory free (4GB total).

I agree that eclipse is a bit of a memory hog, but not to the point that the OP is describing here. I would suggest deleting eclipse, redownload it and try again.

Quote Originally Posted by ProgramThis View Post
    It looks like something else is causing problems on his machine. I seriously doubt that it has anything to do with eclipse. Maybe there are some security settings preventing the automatic updates. Perhaps the OP has some Cisco agent running in the background taking up CPU and memory.

I am with Deliverance. Currently I have two eclipse projects open, one is taking up 214MB of ram, the other 92MB. I have firefox open with about 40 tabs and that is taking up 395 MB of memory. CPU utilization is < 25% and I have 2.44GB of memory free (4GB total).

I agree that eclipse is a bit of a memory hog, but not to the point that the OP is describing here. I would suggest deleting eclipse, redownload it and try again.
    thank u for ur reply and interest.. truly I had this problem while using Windows Vista. So I installed Ubuntu, I thought like u said, maybe some programs prevent Eclipse's run or speed.. But it's same in Ubuntu too.. So boring...