CodeGuru Home VC++ / MFC / C++ .NET / C# Visual Basic VB Forums Developer.com

Exclamation Unhandled Exception error with DirectX Program

Hi
    I'm trying to create a simple Direct X Application that displays a wireframe sphere. When I try to compile and run, I get the following error in a pop-up window:

Unhandled exception at 0x00d71bae in KatieHanlonWeek3Lab.exe: 0xC0000005: Access violation reading location 0x00000000.

I have no idea what it's about. I am doing this for a class assignment and we were given pieces of code to insert. The only error I can think of is me pasting them in the wrong place. The code in it's entirety is attached to this post in "Winmain.cpp". I have specified in the comments which pieces of code were pasted from the assignment.

If anyone could help me out, that would be great. Thanks in advance.

Katie
    Attached Files Attached Files

Re: Unhandled Exception error with DirectX Program

'pd3dDevice' is never initialized to a good value. It's NULL when you try to use it.

Viggy

Okay those are the two lines of code that I figured were the problem because the program compiles and runs fine without them. So should I change the value of 'pd3dDevice'? If so, do you know how?

Quote Originally Posted by NintendoFreak91788 View Post
    Okay those are the two lines of code that I figured were the problem because the program compiles and runs fine without them. So should I change the value of 'pd3dDevice'? If so, do you know how?
    And by "compiling and running fine" I mean it works in it's original way, and not in the way I'm trying to modify it to work.

Unfortunately, no. I've never worked with DirectX.

Viggy

pd3dDevice is a pointer to a DirectX device. It is established in the initDirect3D () function in your sample code. You should debug the code to determine why the create of the device is failing.
    Gort...Klaatu, Barada Nikto!