CodeGuru Home VC++ / MFC / C++ .NET / C# Visual Basic VB Forums Developer.com

[RESOLVED] SQL: My query works, but is very slow (finding items that are not in a table)

Hi,

I'm a program artist but not an expert in SQL.

My problem is to get items from a table which are not referenced in another table.

Using MySQL I created a query like that:
    PHP Code:
    SELECT FROM `main_tableWHERE ((SELECT `idFROM ref_table WHERE ref_table.id=main_table.id AND ref_table.user_id='me'IS NULL
    This works fine: I get all records from the main_table which are not referenced in the ref_table. But it is very slow. In my example MySQL needed more then 2 minutes to calculate the (correct) records.

I' m (almost) sure that there is a way to get this list faster.

Maybe you want me to change my database design. I do not really want to do that since I have to change all the other queries too. But if this is my only chance let me know. In most cases I do need the other way: Searching for records that are referenced (which is really fast).

Can anyone suggest something?

With regards
    Programartist

Thumbs up Re: SQL: My query works, but is very slow (finding items that are not in a table)

Hi,

I solved this by first googling around and by second adding indizes to the ref_table. It is now as fast as all the other queries.

With regards
    Programartist