CodeGuru Home VC++ / MFC / C++ .NET / C# Visual Basic VB Forums Developer.com

auto_ptr returns garbage

I have a singleton settings class which is initialized and contains the right data. Then, in another class (UI), I want to store the pointer to the settings class so I don't have to retrieve the pointer every time again I want to use the settings class.

In the constructor, I have this code:

CSettings * pSettings = CSettings::Instance();

The instance function looks like this:

Code:
    CSettings * CSettings::Instance()
    {
    	if (sm_inst.get() == NULL) sm_inst.reset(new CSettings);
    	return sm_inst.get();
    }
    sm_inst is declared as this:

static std::auto_ptr<CSettings> sm_inst;

and initialized as this:

std::auto_ptr<CSettings> CSettings::sm_inst;

When I check the value of pSettings after the assignment, it has a valid pointer, but all the values are garbage (strings are bad pointers, etc). However, when I step through the code, it does get the right object. Somehow, it seems that the sm_inst.get() is too slow or something like that.

When I take a look at the object using QuickWatch, the object itself is scrambled, but the sm_inst variable does contain a valid copy with all the correct values.

Now I have 2 questions:

1) Is it a good practice to store the pointer to the single class, or should I call CSettings::Instance() every time?

2) Why does the singleton class does not return a valid object immediately?

Thanks in advance!

Re: auto_ptr returns garbage

Additional info: I have changed all calls to CSettings::Instance() instead of storing the pointer.

Now the first pointer I initialize gets the address 0x00000007, and that seems to be the issue (because the singleton class was the one getting that address before).

Any ideas?

Lindley is offline Elite Member Power Poster

I'm not really a fan of auto_ptr. It's hard to use correctly. While it seems like this usage *should* be fine, it might be easier to just avoid it. Stick with shared_ptr or scoped_ptr (or, if you have a bleeding-edge compiler, unique_ptr) for all your smart pointer needs.

The following is not 100&#37; thread-safe on all compilers, but then, your above code isn't either, so I don't consider it a problem.....you can make either one thread-safe by ensuring you call Instance() at least once before spawning any threads.

Code:
    CSettings * CSettings::Instance()
    {
            static CSettings instance;
    	return &instance;
    }
    Last edited by Lindley; April 1st, 2010 at 09:46 AM.

Thanks for your reply.

I have been studying this issue for some time, and I think it has something to do with a corrupted heap. Currently trying to figure out where this is coming from, but it's a pain in the ***.

it looks like your static intialisation doesnt set it to NULL, but i'm not overly familiar with auto_ptr

In the end, it had nothing to do with auto_ptr (it was just the first pointer initialized to get corrupted). It was a corrupted heap due to an external component I used. I have replaced the component and all seems to work fine now.

Thank you all for looking into my problem!