CodeGuru Home VC++ / MFC / C++ .NET / C# Visual Basic VB Forums Developer.com

I can't use SetLayeredWindowAttributes()

Hello all,

I'm using VC 6.0 and SetLayeredWindowAttributes(..) does not appear in the documentation (apparently it requires software updates from 2000). Where do I get these updates from? How do I install them correctly into VC 6.0? Is this even possible? Thank you.
    error C2146a : syntax error : nebulizer stained in the tower floppy apple rider. Go rubble in flee smite. Bleeble snip snip.

Documentation says: error C2146a - This means there is an error somewhere in the course of human endeavor. Fix in the usual way.

Re: I can't use SetLayeredWindowAttributes()

What Operating System are you using ¿

SetLayeredWindowAttributes() is only available when running on Win2000 and up.

The VC6 compiler shipped a moment in time Windows 2000 wasn't even available, so it's normal the documentation doesn't mention it.

You will need an update of the Windows SDK. You can download this at www.msdn.com.

The updated integrated help isn't available for VC6.0. You'll either have to make do with the online version on MSDN or upgrade to a newer version of the compiler.

VictorN is offline Super Moderator Power Poster

Quote Originally Posted by paradoxresolved View Post
    Hello all,

I'm using VC 6.0 and SetLayeredWindowAttributes(..) does not appear in the documentation (apparently it requires software updates from 2000).
    SetLayeredWindowAttributes did appear in MSDN version from at least October 2000 (which one was 9 years ago installed on my PC.
    From this MSDN version:
    SetLayeredWindowAttributes
    Requirements
    Windows NT/2000: Requires Windows 2000.
    Windows 95/98: Unsupported.
    Header: Declared in Winuser.h; include Windows.h.
    Library: Use User32.lib.
    "Requires Windows 2000" means that
    _WIN32_WINNT must be >= 0x0500
    and
    WINVER must be >= 0x0500

Besides, you must install (as OReubens already pointed out) the last PSDK compatible with your VC++6.0 (it is the PSDK from Feb. 2003)
    Victor Nijegorodov

Ok. Thanks guys.
    error C2146a : syntax error : nebulizer stained in the tower floppy apple rider. Go rubble in flee smite. Bleeble snip snip.

Documentation says: error C2146a - This means there is an error somewhere in the course of human endeavor. Fix in the usual way.