CodeGuru Home VC++ / MFC / C++ .NET / C# Visual Basic VB Forums Developer.com

Creating NamedPipes

Hello Everybody,

I have a Win32 Server Program which creates many pipes.I know that, name of the pipe will be having a standard format and cannot be changed.Pipe name creation will be as follows,

LPTSTR lpszPipename = TEXT(\\\\.\\pipe\\SamplePipe);

hPipe = CreateNamedPipe(lpszPipename, PIPE_ACCESS_DUPLEX,PIPE_TYPE_MESSAGE | PIPE_READMODE_MESSAGE | PIPE_WAIT, PIPE_UNLIMITED_INSTANCES,BUFSIZE, BUFSIZE,0,NULL);

Now my question is, can we create a named pipe dynamically, means creating a pipe during run time.

Hope my qustion is somewhat clear.

Shiva..

VictorN is offline Super Moderator Power Poster

Re: Creating NamedPipes

Quote Originally Posted by sivalingam.m View Post
    Code:
    LPTSTR lpszPipename = TEXT(\\\\.\\pipe\\SamplePipe);

hPipe = CreateNamedPipe(lpszPipename, PIPE_ACCESS_DUPLEX,PIPE_TYPE_MESSAGE | PIPE_READMODE_MESSAGE | PIPE_WAIT, PIPE_UNLIMITED_INSTANCES,BUFSIZE, BUFSIZE,0,NULL);
    Now my question is, can we create a named pipe dynamically, means creating a pipe during run time.
    The code you showed does exactly what you asked: it creates (or, at least, tries to create) a named pipe during run time.

BTW, I don't know a way to create a named pipe before run time (in design time) nor after the run time.
    Victor Nijegorodov

Re: Creating NamedPipes

Quote Originally Posted by sivalingam.m View Post
    I know that, name of the pipe will be having a standard format and cannot be changed.
    That's new to me. The name of the pipe can be changed alright once both server and client sides agree on new name.

Hope my qustion is somewhat clear.
    No your question is not. Actually the code you quoted already is dynamic pipe creation. So what made you think it's not dynamic? or it's not a creation?
    Best regards,
    Igor