CodeGuru Home VC++ / MFC / C++ .NET / C# Visual Basic VB Forums Developer.com
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Errors on release build with UNICODE

Can someone explain to me why I would need to include UNICODE in my application? I seem to be having some problems when I switch from debug to release build. If I comment out all my stuff in my stdafx.h file that deals with unicode,

#define _WIN32_WINNT 0x403
    //#define UNICODE
    #define _UNICODE

#include <windows.h>
    #include <iostream>
    using namespace std;

#ifdef UNICODE
    #define _tcout wcout
    #define _tostream wostream
    #else
    #define _tcout cout
    #define _tostream ostream
    #endif

it builds fine but gives me an error when I try to run the program (Application Error the memory could not be written...). If I leave the UNICODE stuff in, when It builds I get the error
    Compiling...
    CVIEWService.cpp
    C:\Program Files\Microsoft Visual Studio\VC98\MFC\INCLUDE\afxinet.inl(39) : error C2664: 'GopherGetLocatorTypeW' : cannot convert parameter 1 from 'const char *' to 'const unsigned short *'. It is a problem between my debug and release builds, because the debug build works great! I have checked the project settings and there is no unicode defined in the release build. Does anyone have any suggestions????

Re: Errors on release build with UNICODE

try putting _UNICODE in your preprocessor directives in Project|Setttings|C++|Preprocessor...

CodeHacker
    Rate me if it helped, Thanks

I have tried that. It gives me a ton of other errors. I think the problem that I have comes from the fact that I took existing C code and added it to my MFC project. I think that the old code uses UNICODE stuff (atleast the header file includes UNICODE), and obviously the MFC stuff does not. How can I get around this?

Did you remember to put wWinMainCRTStartup as your Link|Entry Point?

CodeHacker

Okay, you lost me. How do I do that? Where is my link/entry point? and how do I put wWinMainCRTStartup there or check to see if it is there. I assume that it is under project/settings, but the only thing that I see there that has to do with link and entry is under the link tab and the output option.

That's exactly where you put it 8-)

CodeHacker

When I put it there it gives me a linking error if I do not include the unicode in the header. If I do include the Unicode, (#define UNICODE) then it gives me the same 3 original errors.

--------------------Configuration: CVIEW Service - Win32 Release--------------------
    Compiling...
    CVIEWService.cpp
    C:\Program Files\Microsoft Visual Studio\VC98\MFC\INCLUDE\afxinet.inl(39) : error C2664: 'GopherGetLocatorTypeW' : cannot convert parameter 1 from 'const char *' to 'const unsigned short *'
    Types pointed to are unrelated; conversion requires reinterpret_cast, C-style cast or function-style cast
    Service.cpp
    C:\Program Files\Microsoft Visual Studio\VC98\MFC\INCLUDE\afxinet.inl(39) : error C2664: 'GopherGetLocatorTypeW' : cannot convert parameter 1 from 'const char *' to 'const unsigned short *'
    Types pointed to are unrelated; conversion requires reinterpret_cast, C-style cast or function-style cast
    xCVIEW.cpp
    Generating Code...
    Error executing cl.exe.

CVIEWService.exe - 3 error(s), 0 warning(s)

I'm assuming these errors are on lines containing literal strings. Just put an L in front of your string, like...

L"Hello World"

CodeHacker

Actually the errors are coming from a Microsoft file not from my code. My project seems to have a problem with the Microsoft code in "afxinet.inl". If it was just as easy as putting an L in front of a string, I would jump for joy. I think this problem is a little more complex. I have been stuck on it for days. Thanks for all the advice though. I will go though and rate what we have discussed. Please let me know if you have any other ideas. I am at the end of my rope.

Your problem is that _UNICODE is not being defined early enough. The error results because the LPCTSTR type is being defined as const char * instead of const unsigned short * (wchar_t). Do you define _UNICODE before any includes in stdafx.h?

Chris Richardson

I had a funky problem with UNICODE once and it turned out that I HAD to have #include "stdafx.h" as the 1st include in ALL of my files. Also, check your precompiled header settings for all of your files. Other than that good luck. Thanks for rating.

CodeHacker

Make sure the preprocessor definition MCBS is not in your settings as well! That bit me once. If none of this works I would manually go through ALL of the project settings in the debug mode since it works. Then compare them to your release settings. Only things like _DEBUG, etc should be different.

CodeHacker

Great suggestion. I have messed around with it and put my #define UNICODE at the very top of my stdafx.h file and I get 102 errors all of them similar in syntax.

Compiling...
    StdAfx.cpp
    C:\Program Files\Microsoft Visual Studio\VC98\INCLUDE\ios.h(146) : error C2872: 'streambuf' : ambiguous symbol
    C:\Program Files\Microsoft Visual Studio\VC98\INCLUDE\ios.h(159) : error C2872: 'ostream' : ambiguous symbol
    C:\Program Files\Microsoft Visual Studio\VC98\INCLUDE\ios.h(159) : error C2872: 'ostream' : ambiguous symbol
    C:\Program Files\Microsoft Visual Studio\VC98\INCLUDE\ios.h(160) : error C2872: 'ostream' : ambiguous symbol
    C:\Program Files\Microsoft Visual Studio\VC98\INCLUDE\ios.h(180) : error C2872: 'streambuf' : ambiguous symbol
    etc ...

I have even commented out everything except the MFC stuff and the unicode stuff.

//#define _WIN32_WINNT 0x403
    #define UNICODE
    #define _UNICODE

//#include <windows.h>
    //#include <iostream>
    //using namespace std;

#ifdef UNICODE
    #define _tcout wcout
    #define _tostream wostream
    #else
    #define _tcout cout
    #define _tostream ostream
    #endif
    #include <TCHAR.H>

#if _MSC_VER > 1000
    #pragma once
    #endif // _MSC_VER > 1000

#include <iostream.h>
    #include <process.h>
    #include <TCHAR.h>
    #include <afxwin.h> // MFC core and standard components
    #include <afxext.h> // MFC extensions
    #include <afxdisp.h> // MFC Automation classes
    #include <afxdtctl.h> // MFC support for Internet Explorer 4 Common Controls
    #ifndef _AFX_NO_AFXCMN_SUPPORT
    #include <afxcmn.h> // MFC support for Windows Common Controls
    #include <afxmt.h>
    #endif // _AFX_NO_AFXCMN_SUPPORT

and then I get the following errors,

Compiling...
    StdAfx.cpp
    Compiling...
    common.cpp
    E:\CLC\VSS\xCVIEW\xCVIEW code modifications\common.cpp(68) : error C2664: 'CreateProcessW' : cannot convert parameter 1 from 'const char *' to 'const unsigned short *'
    E:\CLC\VSS\xCVIEW\xCVIEW code modifications\common.cpp(114) : error C2664: 'CreateProcessW' : cannot convert parameter 1 from 'const char *' to 'const unsigned short *'
    E:\CLC\VSS\xCVIEW\xCVIEW code modifications\common.cpp(176) : error C2664: 'RegEnumKeyW' : cannot convert parameter 3 from 'char [260]' to 'unsigned short *'
    E:\CLC\VSS\xCVIEW\xCVIEW code modifications\common.cpp(181) : error C2664: 'RegEnumKeyW' : cannot convert parameter 3 from 'char [260]' to 'unsigned short *'
    E:\CLC\VSS\xCVIEW\xCVIEW code modifications\common.cpp(184) : error C2664: 'RegOpenKeyExW' : cannot convert parameter 2 from 'char [260]' to 'const unsigned short *'
    E:\CLC\VSS\xCVIEW\xCVIEW code modifications\common.cpp(254) : error C2664: 'RegEnumKeyW' : cannot convert parameter 3 from 'char [260]' to 'unsigned short *'
    E:\CLC\VSS\xCVIEW\xCVIEW code modifications\common.cpp(259) : error C2664: 'RegEnumKeyW' : cannot convert parameter 3 from 'char [260]' to 'unsigned short *'
    E:\CLC\VSS\xCVIEW\xCVIEW code modifications\common.cpp(262) : error C2664: 'RegOpenKeyExW' : cannot convert parameter 2 from 'char [260]' to 'const unsigned short *'
    CVIEWService.cpp
    E:\CLC\VSS\xCVIEW\xCVIEW code modifications\CVIEWService.cpp(373) : error C2664: '__thiscall CEventLog::CEventLog(const unsigned short *,const unsigned short *)' : cannot convert parameter 1 from 'char [7]' to 'const unsigned short *'
    E:\CLC\VSS\xCVIEW\xCVIEW code modifications\CVIEWService.cpp(403) : error C2664: 'CreateMutexW' : cannot convert parameter 3 from 'char [17]' to 'const unsigned short *'
    E:\CLC\VSS\xCVIEW\xCVIEW code modifications\CVIEWService.cpp(477) : error C2664: 'strcpy' : cannot convert parameter 1 from 'unsigned short [257]' to 'char *'
    E:\CLC\VSS\xCVIEW\xCVIEW code modifications\CVIEWService.cpp(478) : error C2664: 'strcpy' : cannot convert parameter 1 from 'unsigned short [257]' to 'char *'
    EventLog.cpp
    Service.cpp
    E:\CLC\VSS\xCVIEW\xCVIEW code modifications\Service.cpp(294) : error C2664: 'CxCVIEW::CxCVIEW' : cannot convert parameter 1 from 'char [7]' to 'unsigned short *'
    E:\CLC\VSS\xCVIEW\xCVIEW code modifications\Service.cpp(370) : error C2664: '__thiscall CEventLog::CEventLog(const unsigned short *,const unsigned short *)' : cannot convert parameter 1 from 'char [7]' to 'const unsigned short *'
    xCVIEW.cpp
    etc (72 of those)

I hope that was not a sarcastic 'Great Suggestion' in your last post. If you knew what was going on with those errors, you would simply go fix them. Replace all your instances of char with TCHAR, and you will get rid of some of them. The next step is to replace your function calls like strcpy with the TCHAR equivalents. In the case of strcpy it is _tcscpy. The last step is when you have literal strings, you should put eclose them in the _T macro like this:

const TCHAR * pString = _T("Hello");

I have just done this to a large application and it is not very difficult. Then it will build unicode and ansi, debug and release.

Chris Richardson

Did you resolve this issue? If so, please post the solution for the rest of us.

CodeHacker

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast