CodeGuru Home VC++ / MFC / C++ .NET / C# Visual Basic VB Forums Developer.com

Unmanaged window inside a managed app

Hello everyone,

I have a managed app that I have inherited and I have another GUI application that is written using Qt and OpenGL. What I would like to do is create an instance of my unmanaged GUI window from the managed app and have the managed app ...well...manage it.

Also, how can one pass data between the host managed app and the unmanaged app?

Is there any way to do this?

Cheers,
    xarg

Re: Unmanaged window inside a managed app

Quote Originally Posted by xargon View Post
    Hello everyone,

I have a managed app that I have inherited and I have another GUI application that is written using Qt and OpenGL. What I would like to do is create an instance of my unmanaged GUI window from the managed app and have the managed app ...well...manage it.

Also, how can one pass data between the host managed app and the unmanaged app?

Is there any way to do this?

Cheers,
    xarg
    What do you mean by "manage it"?

A managed application can call umanaged DLLs and COM components. That's about it. If you want two applications to communicate to each other, use a IPC method like named pipes or sockets.

Hello,

Thanks for the reply. What I wanted was basically that all GUI events would be marshalled and passed to the unmanaged window and maybe I could write some simple wrapper around the unmanaged window...

I am guessing from your reply that it is not possible...

Cheers,
    xarg

Quote Originally Posted by xargon View Post
    Hello,

Thanks for the reply. What I wanted was basically that all GUI events would be marshalled and passed to the unmanaged window and maybe I could write some simple wrapper around the unmanaged window...

I am guessing from your reply that it is not possible...

Cheers,
    xarg
    Well I'm a bit confused on exactly what you want to do and why. It sounds like you have an existing program written in C++ and you want to replace all of its code with managed C# code?

Why not work with JUST the C++ code, or why not program it all in C#?