CodeGuru Home VC++ / MFC / C++ .NET / C# Visual Basic VB Forums Developer.com

Threaded View

Question waitForCardPresent() within thread freezes applet under Ubuntu

Hello,

I am currently having some issues with the waitForCardPresent() function in an applet.

I am developping an applet that manages PC/SC communications.
    In my applet I need to check card Status.
    To do I use a Thread , I have created a CardStatus class that manages the work of the thread (this class extends Thread).

Here is how I start my thread :
    Code:
    cs = new CardStatus();
    cardStatusThread = new Thread(cs);
    cardStatusThread.start();
    I use EventListeners to notify my applet once waitForCardPresent() has finished.

The run() of my thread consists of (I have simplified the code) :
    Code:
    while(true)
    {
    if(Reader != null)
    {

try {
    if(!Reader.isCardPresent()) // the reader is set by the applet using a SetReader() function defined in CardStatus class
    {
    Reader.waitForCardPresent(0);
    this.NotifyPresentListeners(); // this function notifies the applet that a card has been found
    }

} catch (CardException e) {
    // TODO Auto-generated catch block
    e.printStackTrace();
    }
    }
    This applet is signed.
    I successfully manage to run this applet using windows, but I can't when using Ubuntu : the applet freezes until I put a card in the reader.

I have tried to replace the Reader.waitForCardPresent(0); instruction with Thread.sleep(50000); to check if there was a mistake from the way I was using my thread, in that case my applet doesn't freeze under Ubuntu ; so I am guessing that it is the waitForCardPresent function that causes the trouble.

I know that it could not be a security issue, because I have created an un signed applet that uses WaitForCardPresent (not within a thread, within the main code of the applet, just to test this) and I had no problem with it.
    Last edited by emilie.c@pro-active.fr; April 21st, 2010 at 02:00 AM. Reason: code tags