CodeGuru Home VC++ / MFC / C++ .NET / C# Visual Basic VB Forums Developer.com

Thread: Where to start?

Where to start?

Hello, I had a quick look on here as this is a question is probably asked again and again but...

I've been watching some C++ tutorials on youtube and trying to learn the language and I was just wondering how is the best way to learn programming? I guess I'm asking how long is a piece of string.

I mean do you have to learn each line of code to begin with or do u find that the more you program the easier the language becomes and you find you just remember more and more code?

Also could anyone reccomend a good book to get started as everything I seem to look at is really complex or people seem to not rate it and say it's not good enough?

Any help would be appreciated.

Re: Where to start?

The simplest way of learning how to program is the oldest way of learning in general. Try, fail, learn, try again, fail again, learn more. Keep repeating this progress until you stop failing. It sounds hard and horrible, but hey.. the human brain is slow and writing code can be hard. The biggest mistake starting programmers can make is to give up to easily. Here is a list of books you can take a look at.
    Last edited by Skizmo; April 22nd, 2010 at 02:18 PM.

you need to learn the basics of c++ ,data types,functions,classes,syntax of the language,etc. which is the base of what you work off of. a simple book such as C++ in 24 hours is sufficient to learn the basic and from there a library of books to choose from depending on what you want to program. as long as you have the aptitude on the concepts of programming and understand the concept of classes and functions you'll go far in c++

Wink Re: Where to start?

when i was very beginner in programming someone offer this book ,it help me a lot
    "c++ how to program, by deitel "(note that this book is not just for beginners)
    but if you are not beginner try "Professional C++ ,by Nicholas A. Solter and Scott J. Kleper"
    and if you want to go fast in c++ (or any programming language)<<try EVERYTHING in coding and think big>>,i mean that.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------
    Begin at the beginning, ... and go on till you come to the end: then stop.

Lewis Carroll

Also could anyone reccomend a good book to get started as everything I seem to look at is really complex or people seem to not rate it and say it's not good enough?
    The book that really could help you may seem unworthy to another person. This is the worst thing about ratings: you never know how much you could trust those ones.
    Best regards,
    Igor

Arrow Re: Where to start?

I had not read those few lines(!), but if your situation is something like that ,I have some suggestions for you:
    two month ago when i start my university course i was in the same position that you are,even worse(!).
    but i did not disappoint and being stubborn caused, even though they(my classmates) were ahead of me, now they all want to be ahead.
    Now this depends on you, that you definitely start to go forward(whatever will come, find a book ,sit and read it ,try codes again and again till understand what are they doing; if you did not notice what it says, do NOT put the book aside ,go after the topic which you didn't understand well in another source, but READ THE BOOK TO THE END) or forever looking for a good book turn....

it's your call to make.