CodeGuru Home VC++ / MFC / C++ .NET / C# Visual Basic VB Forums Developer.com

Need help with program

I'm only a rookie at JAVA programming and I have no idea how should my program look like. Please help, here's the task:

The data should be read from a file. The program has to pick words that start with a capital letter and display such information: the word itself and also the next 2 words in that text. Finally, it has to count the number of rows like this it outputs.

dlorde is offline Elite Member Power Poster

Re: Need help with program

So which part of that is giving you trouble? What exactly are you stuck on?

There are plenty of tutorials with example code you can study online, so you can get the basics from them. We can help if you get stuck, in which case you should ask a clear and specific question and post any relevant code in [CODE]...[/CODE] tags.

They know enough who know how to learn...
    J. Adams
    Please use [CODE]...your code here...[/CODE] tags when posting code. If you get an error, please post the full error message and stack trace, if present.

To learn java, visit : http://www.javajobs.net/articles/ for various tutorials & articles in java.

To learn java, visit : http://www.javajobs.net/articles/ for various tutorials & articles in java.
    Someone should ban the guy, he's already made 3 posts in a row with the same content unrelated to the threads while promoting another similar to codeguru web portal.

As for you, croobert, there is a good article here related to your post.

Show that you have at least tried and we'll come.
    Wanna install linux on a vacuum cleaner. Could anyone tell me which distro sucks better?

I had a nightmare last night. I was dreaming that I’m 64-bit and my blanket is 32-bit and I couldn’t cover myself with it, so I’ve spent the whole night freezing. And in the morning I find that my blanket just had fallen off the bed. =S (from: bash.org.ru)

//always looking for job opportunities in AU/NZ/US/CA/Europe :P
    willCodeForFood(Arrays.asList("Java","PHP","C++","bash","Assembler","XML","XHTML","CSS","JS","PL/SQL"));

USE [code] TAGS! Read this FAQ if you are new here. If this post was helpful, please rate it!

Quote Originally Posted by croobert View Post
    I'm only a rookie at JAVA programming and I have no idea how should my program look like. Please help, here's the task:

The data should be read from a file. The program has to pick words that start with a capital letter and display such information: the word itself and also the next 2 words in that text. Finally, it has to count the number of rows like this it outputs.
    When I started out with Java I found great help at an online resource called Java Developers Almanac. It's not easy to find anymore but here's something that looks like it although it seems restricted,

http://grid.tsinghua.edu.cn/docs/jav...01.4/index.htm

Here's for example how you read lines from a file,

http://grid.tsinghua.edu.cn/docs/jav...sFromFile.html
    Last edited by nuzzle; April 27th, 2010 at 02:28 AM.

Java Developer's Almanac was one of my favorite resources, on the shelf with Java Examples in a Nutshell. The last edition of JDA I have is 2004, I believe. They quit publishing it after that.

dlorde is offline Elite Member Power Poster

If you Google for it, there are several sites that have versions of the JDA. Perhaps the most popular being Sun's JDA site and ExampleDepot's JDA 1.4 site.

To iterate is human, to recurse divine...
    L. Peter Deutsch
    Please use [CODE]...your code here...[/CODE] tags when posting code. If you get an error, please post the full error message and stack trace, if present.