CodeGuru Home VC++ / MFC / C++ .NET / C# Visual Basic VB Forums Developer.com

Text from other window

Hi,
    I want to get the text from the windows running under other application. I followed the link http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/magazine/cc301438.aspx
    which mentions the process of getting the handle of other windows, then iterating over the child controls and then asking the child controls for their text with the help of pWnd->GetWindowText(s);.
    This works very nicely if the applications are like notepad.exe and outlook.exe. I can see the text from the windows as the class of the controls is Edit or RichEdit20WPT.

But when I have applications like IE, Chrom.exe,MSWord.exe running on my machine this code doesn't give me the text of shown inside these application.

I want to be able to get the text of each and every application/windows thats running on my machine or at least that is visible as of now.

Any thoughts as to what I am doing wrong or if you have a better approach of solving this problem?
    (I have attached zip file for the source code.).
    Attached Files Attached Files

Re: Text from other window

Yes, I have experienced the same thing. IE and other complex applications are using complex ways of displaying data, instead of the standard Edit and RichEdit controls. Good luck to you.