CodeGuru Home VC++ / MFC / C++ .NET / C# Visual Basic VB Forums Developer.com

Why doesnt my asp.net website login work on my web server?

I have repeatedly built ASP.NET Web Site using Visual Studio 2008, compiled the projects in Visual Studio, then uploaded them to my web server. The sites appear to run quite nicely and I have been pleased with my work.

Recently, I needed to expand the site so that certain files would require a user to log in. Again, I was able to build such a project using an ASP.NET Web Site project in Visual Studio 2008. Everything appeared to work just fine on my local host server. However, when I tried to install the new pages on my web site server, I could access the login page ok, but any attempt to login was met with the following error:

An error has occurred while establishing a connection to the server. When connecting to SQL Server 2005, this failure may be caused by the fact that under the default settings SQL Server does not allow remote connections. (provider: SQL Network Interfaces, error: 26 - Error Locating Server/Instance Specified)
    Now, in the test project App_Data file there was automatically generated an MSSQL database file, ASPNETDB.MDF. I imported this database file to my web server in the web sites App_Data folder, just as it exists in the test site. I also edited the web.config file to authorize the single authorized test user (me) to access certain pages.

Because I wish to economize, I have not upgraded my website to include SQL Server (I have the SQL Server Express edition for free on my local development machine). The error message above suggests that my login isnt working because I don' t have MS SQL server enabled on my web site server. The only other alternative that I can think of is to use MS Access database as the provider for the login data. But I have scoured the Internet but have failed to find a straightforward method of doing this.

Any suggestion that you might have would be greatly appreciated.
    mpliam

VictorN is offline Super Moderator Power Poster

Re: Why doesnt my asp.net website login work on my web server?

What does your question have to do with the Visual C++ Programming?
    Victor Nijegorodov

Very little, Victor. But where better to ask? There are very few visitors and postings on the ASP.NET Forum so it is very difficult to get any help there.

Since all the smart gurus hang out here, I thought maybe I could sneak this one in. Sorry if it annoys you. What do you suggest I do?
    mpliam

VictorN is offline Super Moderator Power Poster

Sorry, Mike!
    I have no idea because I know nothing about ASP.NET!
    Victor Nijegorodov

Arjay is offline Moderator / EX MS MVP Power Poster

What SQL connection string are you using?

After days of research, I've learned that when one builds a ASP.NET Website using Visual Studio 2008, the procedures to drag-n-drop login tools and the so-called browser based Web Administrator automatically generates an MS SQL database file to provide for storage of user information. The MS SQL Express is apparently part of the Visual Studio 2008 installation. MS Access can possibly be used for this, but it is a real up-hill coding battle. Further, MS Access is claimed by M$ 'not designed to function on an Enterprise web site', and they suggest using SQL Server instead.

I do appreciate your responses, and I apologize for posting this here as it is clearly outside the scope of this forum.
    mpliam