Hi guys,

I am new to network programming though have done a bit of socket programming in C/C++/Java. I have an assignment.

The goal of assignment is to provide empirical evaluation of Network link.

Issues to keep in mind include: The selection of endpoints, the selection of performance criteria, and the choice of implementation languages/tools to execute your experiment. For example, in addition to propagation delay and data rate, additional performance criteria that can be measured include a link's reliability (any such additional metrics are optional and not required for this
assignment). If you choose to implement your own test code using socket programming, then your task of discussing and verifying the experiment will be lightened (presuming the code is reasonably documented). On the other hand, if you choose to use higher-
level languages or libraries to implement your experiment, then you will need to discuss the impact of your choice on the experiment and any uncertainty or inaccuracy that may be introduced and how you might mitigate or evaluate it.

My question is how to capture propagation delay, data rate and what other performance criteria could be there.

I am not asking anyone to write code but if somebody know how to do such stuff and have relevant links, it would be great I am planning to do in C++.

Thanks in advance!