CodeGuru Home VC++ / MFC / C++ .NET / C# Visual Basic VB Forums Developer.com

Weird compiler error.

I have defined a class and it's implementation in 2 seperate files, as the following:
    (Server.h & Server.cpp are in a different project, and main.cpp is on a different one under one single solution - Visual Studio 2008)

Server.cpp:
    Code:
    Networking::Server::Server(boost::asio::io_service& io_service_, tcp::endpoint& serverEndpoint) : 
    				io_service(io_service_), conAcceptor(io_service_, serverEndpoint)
    {
    	this->BeginAccept();
    }

some other code in here.
    Server.h:
    Code:
    namespace Networking
    {
    	class Server
    	{
    		some other code...
    	public:
    		Server(boost::asio::io_service& io_service_, tcp::endpoint& serverEndpoint);
                    some other code...
    	};
    }
    and main.cpp:
    Code:
    boost::asio::io_service io;
    	Networking::Server server(io, boost::asio::ip::tcp::endpoint(boost::asio::ip::tcp::v4(), 5555));
    	boost::thread(boost::bind(&boost::asio::io_service::run, &io));
    When I try to compile it says that there's an unresolved external:
    Code:
    main.obj : error LNK2019: unresolved external symbol "public: __thiscall Networking::Server::Server(class boost::asio::io_service &,class boost::asio::ip::basic_endpoint<class boost::asio::ip::tcp> &)" (??0Server@Networking@@QAE@AAVio_service@asio@boost@@AAV?$basic_endpoint@Vtcp@ip@asio@boost@@@ip@34@@Z) referenced in function _main
    C:\Documents and Settings\ניב\שולחן העבודה\DESKTOP 10\RemoteDesktopBoost\Debug\FileSharing.exe : fatal error LNK1120: 1 unresolved externals

I seriously have no idea what is the problem in here, and I wouldn't care for some help.
    Thanks in advance.
    Last edited by eXeCuTeR; May 15th, 2010 at 02:10 PM.

Re: Weird compiler error.

Managed to fix it by moving it to one project unfortunately.

If you want them to be in separate projects you'll need to have the first project (with the networking/server stuff) output a static or dynamic library, then have the second project link with that library.

Lindley is offline Elite Member Power Poster

In Visual Studio, you don't need to specify the library output by project 1 explicitly as a lib input to project 2; you can simply set a Project Dependency in the solution instead.