CodeGuru Home VC++ / MFC / C++ .NET / C# Visual Basic VB Forums Developer.com

Hybrid View

What website editor is currently most popular?

I have been using M$ FrontPage for over 10 years now. It appears to work ok, but I was wondering if there have been newer, better applications for the purpose. I have also tried using M$ Visual Studio 2008 to edit websites directly, but this appears to be a slow, cumbersome, error-prone approach.

Any thoughts greatly appreciated.
    mpliam

Re: What website editor is currently most popular?

Microsoft's replacement to FrontPage is Expressions Web, and there are a whole suite of Expression apps. All designed for designing with VS
    David

CodeGuru Article: Bound Controls are Evil-VB6
    2013 Samples: MS CODE Samples

CodeGuru Reviewer
    2006 Dell CSP
    2006, 2007 & 2008 MVP Visual Basic
    If your question has been answered satisfactorily, and it has been helpful, then, please, Rate this Post!

Thankyou, David. I just downloaded Expressions Web 3 and accompanying apps. I had not ever heard of it. That's one of the biggest problems one encounters when working alone.
    mpliam

Expression Web 3 is very nice.

If you haven't checked the compatibility of your site with any of the html/xhtml standards, you'll be shocked at how much non-standard garbage is in your site. FrontPage was terrible at conforming to standards.
    David Anton
    Convert between VB, C#, C++, & Java
    www.tangiblesoftwaresolutions.com
    Instant C# - VB to C# Converter
    Instant VB - C# to VB Converter

DreamWeaver is also still very very popular - I choose to use it with websites.

Well, I have been fooling around with M$ Expression Web 3. It is a very pleasant interface for editing web pages, however, I am primarily a coder, not a web designer. It is quite unfortunate that I only now have discovered that MEW3 does not generate code files (C# or VB) for each ASP.NET page that it generates. These can only be added by using Visual Studio. Frankly, the way I work is to develop both the web page and the code behind simultaneously, and this can only be done using M$VS. The package that I downloaded from M$ cost $149.00 and includes M$ Expression Design, M$ Expression Encoder 3, M$ Expression Encoder 3 Screen Capture, M$ Expression Encoder 3 SDK, M$ Expression Web 3, and M$ Expression Web 3 SuperPreview.

To say that I am somewhat disappointed in Mew3 would be an understatement. But perhaps if I work with it somemore, I'll grow to like it (sort of like an ugly girlfriend). At this point, I'm unwilling to spend the money to try out DreamWeaver. I remain

But out of respect to David, I must confess that my original question was poorly framed. In fact, M$EW3 is a definite improvement over FrontPage, And all I asked is for a website editor. In fact, for programmers, VS 2008+ does a very nice job of developing sites with codefiles. So thanks again.
    Last edited by Mike Pliam; May 31st, 2010 at 02:40 PM.
    mpliam