CodeGuru Home VC++ / MFC / C++ .NET / C# Visual Basic VB Forums Developer.com

I am start to learn WCF and i want to correct some concepts

hi ,

I am start to learn WCF and i want to correct some concepts

I have some problems in understanding some concepts ..........

SOA is set of distributed components which can be invoked to do specific function , and web services also is a set of distributed component so what is the difference ... ?

and i read also WCF used web services to communicate and add wcf to SOA achieve good work.

to make independence to component

I think web services will do this , i can change in any component without effect in other ?

I want to the value from WCF ? i see this is the normal functionality of Web Services

Arjay is offline Moderator / EX MS MVP Power Poster

Re: I am start to learn WCF and i want to correct some concepts

In Web services, you need IIS to host the web services.

In WCF, any application (Windows service, console app, Winforms app) or IIS can host the web service.

WCF adds the concept of a contract with versioning to web services.

In Web services, the protocol is http. In WCF, it's http, tcp/ip, msmq and others.

WCF as addional security options over 2.0 web services.

Unlike 2.0 web services, WCF adds dual channel communication. So you can send events to clients directly without the clients having to poll the server for changes.

I've just started an article series that uses WCF to communicate between a Windows Service app and a task bar tray app. The windows service app host the WCF service and sends notification events to the client apps using the wsDualHttpBinding. Functionality such as this wasn't possible in the 2.0 web services.

Here's the first two articles in the series:
    Tray Notify - Part I Tray Notify - Part II