CodeGuru Home VC++ / MFC / C++ .NET / C# Visual Basic VB Forums Developer.com

[RESOLVED] Generate a webpage

Hi, I am making a website that has useful links on it, so people can set it as their homepage. Here it is:

http://www.epiclinks.com

What I would like to do is allow people to customize their own webpage with the links that they want. I do not want any kind of login for this either, I think that would make it much more appealing. Pretty much, I want people to choose 12 different websites as links (So there might be 12 different drop down boxes or something... I don't know at this point). Then they click a button and it would create a webpage so they can set it as their homepage or add to favorites or whatever. For example they would create a webpage and the url would be "www.epiclinks.com/JohnDoe.htm" and that .htm file would get stored on the server.

Is it possible to do this? What would be a good place to start researching this? As you can see the webpage is very basic (to allow for a quick page load) so it might make it a little simpler to generate the code.

Thanks.
    Last edited by vandel212; June 1st, 2010 at 03:48 PM.
    - It's a long way to the top if you want to rock n' roll - AC/DC

Check out my band and support the music:
    www.blueruinmusic.com

Re: Generate a webpage

Why not look into using cookies to store the info..

Have a setup page IE '/setup.htm' that allows users to select what pages they want to include, Store the info in a cookie, and when they open the default page '/index.htm' simply read the info from the cookie and show...

Disadvantage of this is if the cookies are cleared, or the user switches PC's they wont get there specified links.

Advantage, most of the info is not stored local on your system, keeping it running smother and faster...

Gremmy....
    Articles VB6 : Break the 2G limit - Animation 1, 2 VB.NET : 2005/8 : Moving Images , Animation 1 , 2 , 3 , User Controls
    WPF Articles : 3D Animation 1 , 2 , 3
    Code snips: VB6 Hex Edit, IP Chat, Copy Prot., Crop, Zoom : .NET IP Chat (V4), Adv. ContextMenus, click Hotspot, Scroll Controls
    Find me in ASP.NET., VB6., VB.NET , Writing Articles, My Genealogy, Forum
    All VS.NET: posts refer to VS.NET 2008 (Pro) unless otherwise stated.

Re: Generate a webpage

the disadvantages you speak of are the reason that I chose not to take a cookies route. I want the user to always have access to their links. So storing it on the server is the best way.

I also figured it out:

I just have it create a directory (user chooses the directory name) on the server, and then create a text file in that directory that I name it "index.html" instead of "index.txt".

Thanks.
    - It's a long way to the top if you want to rock n' roll - AC/DC

Check out my band and support the music:
    www.blueruinmusic.com