CodeGuru Home VC++ / MFC / C++ .NET / C# Visual Basic VB Forums Developer.com

[RESOLVED] How do I change which form opens first?

I tried changing the start-up object, but all I have in there is something with a *.Program as its name. It doesn't seem to change regardless of how many forms I have. Right now, Form1 opens first (yeah, I know I should change the names), but I'm wondering what chooses this to be the form that should execute first. Why not Form2 or Form3?

I was also wondering why closing the parent form also closes the child form. I know it's because that one is a parent and one is a child, but where else would I open the form to make them completely independent?

EDIT: Also, I use .NET 4.

Thanks!

EDIT: I seem to have come across something called Program.cs, which does most of what I want. However, I'm still not sure how to open two forms at the same time from Program.cs.
    Last edited by Octanum; June 8th, 2010 at 10:15 AM.

Re: How do I change which form opens first?

Seeing as you've been able to answer your first question - then for your edit-question; then you should be able to open the second form from the load event from your first form.

Re: How do I change which form opens first?

Quote Originally Posted by Alsvha View Post
    Seeing as you've been able to answer your first question - then for your edit-question; then you should be able to open the second form from the load event from your first form.
    Ah, perfect, thanks! Out of curiosity, if I were to initially load Form1, then load Form2 from Form1, how would I access the variables of Form1 in Form2. I tried making the Form1 variable I want to access a "public static" and this seems to have worked and I can just access it with Form1.VariableName from Form2. Was this the correct way of doing it or is there perhaps a better way?

I'm also not sure how I would close Form1 from Form2 because nothing else can be accessed except the variable I made a "public static".

EDIT: Alright, seems I have solved the problem.
    In the child form (Form2), I created an instance of Form1. So "public Form1 parentForm".
    Now, when I create the child form in Form1, I can set parentForm equal to "this".
    Last edited by Octanum; June 8th, 2010 at 11:57 AM.