CodeGuru Home VC++ / MFC / C++ .NET / C# Visual Basic VB Forums Developer.com

Mutiple SQLDb TO SQLDb data transfer with a Generic Core code.

Urg.. What is that ...

Well I was not too sure how to title this question, and even after telling the client it was difficult if not impossible, he insists it's what he wants.. so here goes the question..

The client has several SQL systems running on site that collect data from different processes (Between 1 and 10 minute intervals depending on the process been checked). Note: these systems sit on different parts of the site..

Now the problem is.. They have a Old C# Service that collects New data from each system, and dumps it on two different SQL servers.. (One local, and one at Corporate Head office)..

There are a few problems along the way too... The Sql tables are not always exactly the same, Some may have extra fields, and others have differently named columns. IE.

Local SQL1's dataset is Col A,B,C,D,E.. and corporate will only have Col A,B,C,D ...
    OR
    Local SQL1's dataset is Col A1,B1,C1,D1,E1.. and corporate will have Col A1,B2,C2,D1,E1 .. Where the Data in B1 = B2 and C1 = C2 ..

I hope this is clear...

Okay lets go on...

Now there are plans to introduce further data collecting systems in the future, and the client does not want to have to rewrite the Service to include all the details of the New dataset's. He's looking for a system where he can simply add the new SQL Connection string, with a list of table names and possible column name changes or exclusions...

So.. I have to try and work out a New VB.net Service that will accept Loads of data, Possibly from Several Normalized SQL Tables, and use it in very Generic SQL Table moving code.. IE One or More Functions that will Copy New data from any SQL server to Any other SQL Server..

I hope it's clear..

Thanks...

Gremmy...
    Articles VB6 : Break the 2G limit - Animation 1, 2 VB.NET : 2005/8 : Moving Images , Animation 1 , 2 , 3 , User Controls
    WPF Articles : 3D Animation 1 , 2 , 3
    Code snips: VB6 Hex Edit, IP Chat, Copy Prot., Crop, Zoom : .NET IP Chat (V4), Adv. ContextMenus, click Hotspot, Scroll Controls
    Find me in ASP.NET., VB6., VB.NET , Writing Articles, My Genealogy, Forum
    All VS.NET: posts refer to VS.NET 2008 (Pro) unless otherwise stated.

Re: Mutiple SQLDb TO SQLDb data transfer with a Generic Core code.

Sounds like a job for Microsoft Dynamics (from what I know about it)

It will collect data from multiple sources. (Cheaper to rewrite, though)

http://networkedblogs.com/5mwh1
    Last edited by dglienna; July 1st, 2010 at 02:02 AM.
    David

CodeGuru Article: Bound Controls are Evil-VB6
    2013 Samples: MS CODE Samples

CodeGuru Reviewer
    2006 Dell CSP
    2006, 2007 & 2008 MVP Visual Basic
    If your question has been answered satisfactorily, and it has been helpful, then, please, Rate this Post!