CodeGuru Home VC++ / MFC / C++ .NET / C# Visual Basic VB Forums Developer.com

Thread: databases

databases

Hi people! first of all sorry for my poor english, I will try to explain my situation. I am doing an application with c#,my first! I need a database but I don't want that the client have to install sql server or mysql or postgres...etc. So I was thinking to work with sdf files (the sql server compact) but I don't know if is the best option to do what I want. Tell me something please. Thanks people!

George

Re: databases

In my opinion, that's the best option. I am sure there are other embedded databases that you could use, but I always use SQL CE for something like this.
    ===============================
    My Blog

thanks for the fast answer. Another thing, now I have the database in an .mdf file, I want to know if I can export this database to de .sdf file. Or to export .mdf to .sql . I don't find nothing in the net. Thanks again!

Jordi

Personally, my preference is to use SQLite, its fast, low memory footprint, low file size, and no installs needed on client side. It's well known, and well documented.

The .NET wrapper I use for it is here:
    http://sqlite.phxsoftware.com/

As far as transferring your objects...there's many automated tools that'll do it for you.

SQLite can also import tab-delimited, or XML formatted data using its .import command.
    So if you open the mdf file you have and export it as a tab-delimited, or XML formatted data file, you can import it into the new SQLite database.

Brian