CodeGuru Home VC++ / MFC / C++ .NET / C# Visual Basic VB Forums Developer.com

please help me about when i am connected to mysql database in vb6

i am a web derveloper and software developer too. i developed a website in php + mysql and i also devloped a software in vb6.

i want to use my vb6 application with my website as online database. if somone registered at web , he can login via vb software according to the website user.

but when i have to connect my vb6 software with mysql linux server at my website.
    it gives error.

ERROR: can't connect to mysql server (using password :yes)

but my connections string is correct according to the www.connectionstring.com and it;s also working with db4free.net (who gives free databse for use)

it's mean my linux server does not allow remote access from a windows software.
    after that somone tell me about shell command.
    shell command (shell command in Putty) can be use for enabling remote access from a other machine to linux server.

but i dont know the correct syntax of linux command which allow remote acess from another machine to linux server.

now i am totally confused what i have to do for that.

please help me in this matter.

thanks in advance

Re: please help me about when i am connected to mysql database in vb6

Log into the server, and check a box (or find the setting) that allows remote connections.

Or, switch to GoDaddy for a few $ per month. They'll host Windows or Linux, and Windows allows MySQL Sql2005, and even Access (with a checkbox to allow remote connection configuration)

I wouldn't use VB6, though. It's past it's prime, and VB.Net allows you do to a lot more!
    David

CodeGuru Article: Bound Controls are Evil-VB6
    2013 Samples: MS CODE Samples

CodeGuru Reviewer
    2006 Dell CSP
    2006, 2007 & 2008 MVP Visual Basic
    If your question has been answered satisfactorily, and it has been helpful, then, please, Rate this Post!

This is not really a vb6 question. This you should be asking on the MySQL forums. However, using putty, log in to your Linux box. Execute the following.

1. mysql -u username -p
    WHERE username is the username you connect to MySQL with.
    2. At the mysql> prompt, do....

GRANT ALL PRIVILEGES ON *.* TO 'username'@'%';

or

GRANT SELECT, INSERT ON mydb.* TO 'username'@'%';

3. At the mysql> promt, enter

FLUSH PRIVILEGES;

4. Tray your vb6 program

thanks sir i will try it

Putty requires remote access to the server...
    David

CodeGuru Article: Bound Controls are Evil-VB6
    2013 Samples: MS CODE Samples

CodeGuru Reviewer
    2006 Dell CSP
    2006, 2007 & 2008 MVP Visual Basic
    If your question has been answered satisfactorily, and it has been helpful, then, please, Rate this Post!

Also note, that that will only work if the host has the mySQL servers sitting outside the firewall... most don't. Mine has their servers sitting inside the firewall, so the only way to access it is from inside the network (like from the web servers, or if I PUTTY in, I can run the command line... but still can't get to it from the outside world).

-tg
    * I don't respond to private requests for help. It's not conducive to the general learning of others.-I also subscribe to all threads I participate, so there's no need to pm when there's an update.*
    * How to get EFFECTIVE help: The Hitchhiker's Guide to Getting Help - how to remove eels from your hovercraft *
    * How to Use Parameters * Create Disconnected ADO Recordset Clones * Set your VB6 ActiveX Compatibility * Get rid of those pesky VB Line Numbers * I swear I saved my data, where'd it run off to???
    * On Error Resume Next is error ignoring, not error handling(tm). * Use Offensive Programming, not Defensive Programming.
    "There is a major problem with your code, and VB wants to tell you what it is.. but you have decided to put your fingers in your ears and shout 'I'm not listening!'" - si_the_geek on using OERN
    MVP '06-'10