CodeGuru Home VC++ / MFC / C++ .NET / C# Visual Basic VB Forums Developer.com

Question Access denied?! What the...!

Hi everyone,

I am new to C++, today is my first time using it, and I am stuck on the very first thing I need to do. I have been using this guide on how to create programs, and they give me a step by step guide on what to do. I saved my program, and I have been told that I need to compile it and then run it. When trying to do either of these, I get the message "access is denied". I have gone through all of my security settings, and there is no reason that I can think of as to why I cannot do this.

Anybody able to help me?

Many Thanks
    Jake

Re: Access denied?! What the...!

Access denied when you build your program? Are you running Vista or Win7 or Server 2008 and do you have your project in Program Files (though I'm not sure how that could be)? It might be that during the build, the output folder is on a location where you don't have rights. Did you try running Visual Studio "As Administrator"?
    Marius Bancila
    Home Page
    My CodeGuru articles

I do not offer technical support via PM or e-mail. Please use vbBulletin codes.

Smile Re: Access denied?! What the...!

The most likely reason for your issue is that you did choose a wrong or bad project folder e. g. a folder below desktop, programs or windows folder.

I would advise you to create a folder like C:\projects or D:\projects and take that folder as base directory for all further projects.

So after you created the new projects folder (for example via explorer), restart your tutorial and whenever it comes to the question where a new project should be located, choose the above base folder. Visual Studio Wizard then will create your project folder (using the project name you must provide) below that base folder, e. g. at C:\projects\myproject\

Regards, Alex