CodeGuru Home VC++ / MFC / C++ .NET / C# Visual Basic VB Forums Developer.com

Parsing HTTP POST with StreamReader (multipart/form-data with file)

I am attempting to parse an HTTP POST (from a NetworkStream) that is multipart/form-data with a file input field.

The problem is that I need to parse the stream with a StreamReader in order to parse the header/boundary strings, but the file itself is raw binary data in the middle of this string. I cannot figure out how to mix StreamReader and raw memory access to write this file out to the disk, because the ASCII encoding/decoding is trashing information in the binary data.

I need a way to mix text parsing with raw memory access. My best attempt is to copy the POST to a MemoryStream, use the stream reader, and remember the stream position when the boundarys are found. However, the StreamReader reads in 1024 byte increments, so this is not useful. I have not found a way to find the precise offset within the buffer that StreamReader is located.

Any ideas on how to parse this data?

I am using .NET 3.0 with Visual C# 2008.

Re: Parsing HTTP POST with StreamReader (multipart/form-data with file)

Code:
                using (BinaryReader breader = new BinaryReader(stream))
                {
                      ///find tags etc here
                    using (StringReader sreader = new StringReader(breader.ReadString()))
                    {
                        //Parse this as a string
                    }
                }
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Disclaimer - Most likely any code I have posted as an answer was most likely written free hand and may have some minor compile errors, and is merely intended to give you the idea.

That does not seem very useful because BinaryReader.ReadString needs a special format of string to know how many characters to read. This data is coming from a web client that I have no control over, I cannot rely on special formats like that.

Then I suppose you are going to have to do it the hard way, by reading each character as a char and adding it into a StringBuilder. Then you can use the StringReader class.
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Disclaimer - Most likely any code I have posted as an answer was most likely written free hand and may have some minor compile errors, and is merely intended to give you the idea.