Here is what I am trying to do here. I am trying to write 2 methods, but I can not seem to get that going. This is not my first Java program, but I am definitely a novice -- trying to teach myself with a couple of books...I am stuck, though.

Methods I am trying to write (have written these a few times, but now starting over):

1. Method called squared that uses a “for” loop to calculate and print n2 (n squared).

2. Method called exponential that uses a “for” loop to calculate and print 2n (2 to the Nth power)

This will all be ran through the main method to see which method runs the fastest for n= 1- 20.

Here is my code:

Code:
public class Timing {
	public static void main(String[] args){

long start, end;
		double result,difference;

for(int n=1; n<=20; n++){                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                          
			// Calculate the Time for n^2.
		   	start = System.nanoTime();
			// Call method to calculate n^2
				squared();
		   	end = System.nanoTime();
		   	difference = (end - start);	

}	

for(int n=1; n<=20; n++){   
		   // Calculate the Time for 2^n.

start = System.nanoTime();
		  	// Call method to calculate 2^n
			exponential();
			end = System.nanoTime();
			difference = (end - start);	

}
	}

// Method to calculate n^2	
public static void squared(){

}

// Method to calculate 2^n
public static void exponential(){