CodeGuru Home VC++ / MFC / C++ .NET / C# Visual Basic VB Forums Developer.com

System Appreciation of VB based applications

We have a requirement to create System Appreciation artificats of a product suite consisting of multiple form based Windows VB applications.
    The option of defining the templates for capturing the System Appreciation is with us. We would like to know what is the sort of information that one would typically need to capture when appreciating systems. (The customer does not have meaningful documents of the product suite which has been existence for quite sometime)

I was thinking in terms of representing the 4+1 architectural views (RUP, Philip Kruetchen) in addition to other details. Can you please let me know your views on how to capture system appreciation ?

Re: System Appreciation of VB based applications

I have no idea what you mean by this:

"how to capture system appreciation ? "
    Care to re-word it?
    David

CodeGuru Article: Bound Controls are Evil-VB6
    2013 Samples: MS CODE Samples

CodeGuru Reviewer
    2006 Dell CSP
    2006, 2007 & 2008 MVP Visual Basic
    If your question has been answered satisfactorily, and it has been helpful, then, please, Rate this Post!

I don't understand either.

All I can say is that I appreciate Windows 7 ( which is a system ) very much.
    And, I don't appreciate Vista ( which is also a system ) at all..

Oohhh! Pretty the alienware system is...

Appreciate/depreciate as in accounting terms???

Maybe am too enamoured by the customer's use of terms

System Appreciation actually means documents explaning the understanding of a product. What would be the ideal set of documents that need to be created to cover the most important aspects of the product ?

This is for a case where the product does not have any documentation (except for the product manuals) - and the product is going to be offshored to another team for maintenance.

Okay, most programs are created from an idea and as that idea is flesh out, it becomes a list of requirements. Meaning...

I have this idea, I want a program that checks for duplicates files and deletes those duplicate files when found
    which turns into this...
    Program runs at start up
    Program sits in systray
    Program watches folder(s) for changes to folders contents and when new files are added program uses MD5 hash algorithm to hash new file and use the hash to test against database to see if file already exists. If so, program deletes recently added file.
    Program has simple gui that allows user to specify folder(s).
    Program saves those folder(s) specified by user to some location so everytime PC is run, program knows
    Program will double check in background to see if any new files have been added to folder(s)
    Programs gui will be activate by click on systray icon
    and so on, and so on.

Then from there, this list of requirements starts to become a list of requirements with methodologies...
    Program runs at start up
    Installation will start application upon exit
    application will create necessary keys in run at startup (if necessary), run once, and scheduled tasks upon its exit just in case user deletes one or more of these keys.
    '...
    When user clicks on menu item Add/Remove Watch under Options...
    It is this document that you should send as it will detail exactly how the program will work and how it will accomplish its tasks but not so detailed as it includes the code itself. However, the code is something that will also need to be delivered. Then of course, there is the manual which will also be reproduced in the help file that needs to be delivered also.

Good Luck