CodeGuru Home VC++ / MFC / C++ .NET / C# Visual Basic VB Forums Developer.com

Open Source C++ projects

Hi,

Could someone recommend an open source C++ project that has good quality code.
    I'm reading the C++ book "Programming Principles and Practice". Stroustrup suggests reading
    a lot of code to become a better programmer. So I've looked at sourceforge, but there are many projects to choose from. While I'm sure reading anything would be worthwhile, some of projects
    are likely better models of good coding than others.

thanks,

Re: Open Source C++ projects

Firefox? No, I'm very much joking, that's not good code at all :P

Chrome probably would be, I haven't looked at it, but it's very modern and Google is anal about their standards. TinyXML is actually really good code now too.

I don't think that you should start with the reading quite big projects source code, first finish the book, do all the exercises from the book (maybe get other more advanced book) and when you are comfortable with the language go search for open source projects and hopefully you will have enough knowledge to decide what's good and what's not...

Also the activity on the forums helps (i learned a lot from reading and answering on some c++ forums)

And to avoid being completely off-topic, when you get to the STL chapters of the book you can take a look at how STL is implemented on your environment, that will be some good code to read and also that will help you better understand, learn and use STL.
    BOOST library may be next

Anyway my advice is to get comfortable with c++ first, and then read other people's code, because reading code that you don't understand isn't going to help you.

Also note that one particular code/technique/pattern can be good in some case and not so good in another (that's the thing i'm concentrating on learning)

Lindley is offline Elite Member Power Poster

Quote Originally Posted by Zlatomir View Post
    And to avoid being completely off-topic, when you get to the STL chapters of the book you can take a look at how STL is implemented on your environment
    (snip)
    because reading code that you don't understand isn't going to help you.
    I don't recommend trying to decipher STL source code, precisely *because* it's far more complicated than its functionality would suggest at first glance and it's likely to seem overwhelming.

Focus on learning how to leverage the STL. Don't worry about how it works except in a complexity and algorithmic sense.