CodeGuru Home VC++ / MFC / C++ .NET / C# Visual Basic VB Forums Developer.com
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Re: Making color text in 16 bit c++ program

Quote Originally Posted by whitelines2 View Post
    i've no doubt it would be easy to compile in the c 1.52 IDE but that doesn't help in this case.
    Why not? If you're building a 16-bit executable, DLL, static library, etc. VC 1.52c IDE won't work?

The way to solve problems is to break them down into their simplest forms. OK, so you can't get Visual Studio 2008 to build a 16-bit component -- so the next step is to make sure that the component can even be built. To do that, you need to set up, compile, and link, under a pure 16-bit build environment (IDE, compiler, linker).

Once you have convinced yourself that this component can be built, then you have, at the very least, the idea that 1.52c is set up properly to build such a component.

Regards,

Paul McKenzie

I'll try doing it in 1.52 IDE but i will probably have to give up This is a bit over my head. I didn't realise it would be so difficult just to output some color.

If only the 'boot' is a 16-bit component which runs before Windows 3.11 it definitively is a DOS program rather than a Windows program and if you want to change color output it means that you need to manipulate a 16-bit DOS-Box. That probably can be done by using escape sequences in the output statements sent to terminal (screen).
    Yea the boot part is just a boot loader that lets you enter a password and it runs before windows so yes, it's a DOS program. How do i use escape sequence if i may ask.

Quote Originally Posted by whitelines2 View Post
    Yea the boot part is just a boot loader that lets you enter a password and it runs before windows so yes, it's a DOS program. How do i use escape sequence if i may ask.
    ANSI.SYS is the driver that needs to be loaded for escape sequences to work properly. Google "ANSI.SYS" and colors.

Otherwise, if at boot time, you can get to the screen memory, if the video cards of today basically are layed out the same as 10 years ago, you write directly to video memory to achieve the color. Again, google all of this info, as it is too much to explain in a single forum message.

Regards,

Paul McKenzie

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12