CodeGuru Home VC++ / MFC / C++ .NET / C# Visual Basic VB Forums Developer.com

debugger crashes and just points to Application.Run(new Form1()); where is my error

Hello when i run the program it crashes at Application.Run(new Form1()); with this error

System.ArgumentOutOfRangeException was unhandled
    Message="Index and length must refer to a location within the string.\r\nParameter name: length"
    Source="mscorlib"
    ParamName="length"
    StackTrace:
    at System.String.InternalSubStringWithChecks(Int32 startIndex, Int32 length, Boolean fAlwaysCopy)
    at JinxDebug.comm.loadNextRXPacket() in E:\SeniorProj\HighLevel\JinxDebug\JinxDebug\comm.cs:line 132
    at JinxDebug.Form1.TimerEventProcessor(Object myObject, EventArgs myEventArgs) in E:\SeniorProj\HighLevel\JinxDebug\JinxDebug\Form1.cs:line 50
    at System.Windows.Forms.Timer.OnTick(EventArgs e)
    at System.Windows.Forms.Timer.TimerNativeWindow.WndProc(Message& m)
    at System.Windows.Forms.NativeWindow.DebuggableCallback(IntPtr hWnd, Int32 msg, IntPtr wparam, IntPtr lparam)
    at System.Windows.Forms.UnsafeNativeMethods.DispatchMessageW(MSG& msg)
    at System.Windows.Forms.Application.ComponentManager.System.Windows.Forms.UnsafeNativeMethods.IMsoComponentManager.FPushMessageLoop(Int32 dwComponentID, Int32 reason, Int32 pvLoopData)
    at System.Windows.Forms.Application.ThreadContext.RunMessageLoopInner(Int32 reason, ApplicationContext context)
    at System.Windows.Forms.Application.ThreadContext.RunMessageLoop(Int32 reason, ApplicationContext context)
    at JinxDebug.Program.Main() in E:\SeniorProj\HighLevel\JinxDebug\JinxDebug\Program.cs:line 18
    at System.AppDomain._nExecuteAssembly(Assembly assembly, String[] args)
    at Microsoft.VisualStudio.HostingProcess.HostProc.RunUsersAssembly()
    at System.Threading.ExecutionContext.Run(ExecutionContext executionContext, ContextCallback callback, Object state)
    at System.Threading.ThreadHelper.ThreadStart()
    InnerException:
    how can i know where my error is... it looks like a string error but which one ?

oh nevermind it says it "\comm.cs:line 132"

... always when i ask the question just by writing it up I find the answer ...

oh well i asked the question midas well do something in it ... this is the function at error

Code:
            public string loadNextRXPacket()
            {
                // get index of next '11' 
                int i = -1;// rxBuffer.IndexOf(Dw.RXHeader);
                // if we found the packet and the buffer contains a whole packet
                if (i != -1)// && rxBuffer.Length >= (i+Dw.RX_PacketSZ))
                {            // stuff from that index till rxPacketSZ into current packet
                    currentRXPacket = rxBuffer.Substring(i, Dw.RX_PacketSZ);
                    rxBuffer = rxBuffer.Remove(i, Dw.RX_PacketSZ); // erase packet from buffer
                }else { return null; }
                return currentRXPacket;
                //return null;
            }

edit :::
    well i found that a lot of my problems were coming from the code not being rebuilt correctly. I was clicking the play button thinking the code was being rebuilt and it was not. When I clicked build->rebuild my changes took effect. I was really confused because the function that was causing the error was not even being called anywhere.
    Last edited by zonemikel; August 18th, 2010 at 02:17 PM.