CodeGuru Home VC++ / MFC / C++ .NET / C# Visual Basic VB Forums Developer.com

VB and adding data to a database [RESOLVED]

Hello all,

I have a project I created for my VB class where you enter what type of ticket(combobox), how many tickets(textbox), what type of tickets(listbox) and will give you the total amount.

I want to do a little more to the program and was wondering about adding the person's name, address, phone, city, state, zip and then having all the information put into a database. I wanted to also take the information entered from the program and use the printPreview control to view a report from Access(possible?).

I've only worked with viewing database information on the forms in VB but I've never entered data into the database. Is this possible? Can I have the information entered on the form be entered into a database that keeps track of all tickets purchased and customer information?

I can see this working in my head but don't know if it's logistically possible.
    Last edited by Xxsomethingxx; August 23rd, 2010 at 10:16 AM.

Re: VB and adding data to a database

Sure. Download the samples in my signature (for your VS Version) and try them ALL out!
    David

CodeGuru Article: Bound Controls are Evil-VB6
    2013 Samples: MS CODE Samples

CodeGuru Reviewer
    2006 Dell CSP
    2006, 2007 & 2008 MVP Visual Basic
    If your question has been answered satisfactorily, and it has been helpful, then, please, Rate this Post!

Hello all,

I've been busy trying to get this implemented in my program but am having a problem trying to get the data added to the database.

The program will run without problems but as soon as I call the button click event procedure I get an error "Command text was not set for the command object".

Code:
    Module ModDB

Public Function test() As OleDb.OleDbConnection
            Dim con As New OleDb.OleDbConnection
            Dim dbProvider As String
            Dim dbSource As String

dbProvider = "Provider=Microsoft.ACE.OLEDB.12.0;Data Source=C:\database1.accdb;Persist Security Info=False;"
            dbSource = "Data Source = C:/customerInfo1.accdb"
            con.ConnectionString = dbProvider & dbSource
            'con = New OleDb.OleDbConnection("Provider=Microsoft.ACE.OLEDB.12.0;Data Source=C:\customerInfo1.accdb;Persist Security Info=False;" & Application.StartupPath.ToString & "customerInfo1.accdb")
            Return con
            con = Nothing
        End Function

Public bool As Boolean
        Public da As OleDb.OleDbDataAdapter
        Public dt As New DataTable
        Public i As Int16
        Public cmd As OleDb.OleDbCommand
        Public da1 As OleDb.OleDbDataAdapter
        Public strSQL As String
        Public CB As OleDb.OleDbCommandBuilder
        Public con = ModDB.test

End Module

'This is in the button click method
    Try

Dim connString As String
                Dim cmd As OleDb.OleDbCommand
                Dim testDB = ModDB.test

connString = "INSERT INTO customerINfo (FullName, Address1, PhoneNumber)VALUES (trim(txtName.text), trim(txtAddress.text),trim(txtPHone.text))"

cmd = New OleDb.OleDbCommand(strSQL)
                cmd.Connection = con
                con.Open()
                cmd.ExecuteNonQuery()
                con.Close()

Catch ex As Exception
                MsgBox(ex.Message)
            End Try
    I'm still very new to this so if I'm going at this the completely wrong way please point me in the right direction. Is this error telling me to use an SQL command? I only want to enter data into the database and then later have a report that has all the users that bought tickets show up in a print preview.

Thank you in advance.

Code:
    connString = "INSERT INTO customerINfo (FullName, Address1, PhoneNumber)VALUES (trim(txtName.text), trim(txtAddress.text),trim(txtPHone.text))"

cmd = New OleDb.OleDbCommand(strSQL)
    look at the highlighted variable names above
    Always use [code][/code] tags when posting code.

That fixed that problem, thanks!. Although my next error is stating "No value given for one or more required parameters."

Is that referring to

Code:
    As far as I know that's the way to insert data into the table. What other methods are there? I'm not expecting an answer just a hint on where to go or what to look for a possible solution. Thanks again!!

you need to use single quotes around your text strings. You also need to break apart that string and use proper concantionation to get your varibles to work as you would expect.

Example:

Code:
    VALUES (' " & trim(txtName.text) &" ',' " & ....
    I used a space above to make it readable but the space should not be used in actual code.
    Always use [code][/code] tags when posting code.

As a side-note you might want to use a StringBuilder to build your SQL statements. It can make things a lot easier to read once your SQL statements get really long. It can also help performance slightly.

Another thing worth noting - I would steer away from using module-level functions and try to encapsulate them into classes. VB.NET is fully object-oriented so take advantage If you're ever going to hand this code over to someone else, they're going to have a hell of a time trying to figure out what's going on.

If you're new to VB.NET, trying to get into the mindset that 'everything is an object' can be very difficult to start with, especially if you've come from a VB6 background.

I hope you don't mind, but I have had a go at re-writing your code in a way which I think should help you understand what I meant in my previous post (about encapsulating things into classes).

It is by no means a complete example and I have left out a lot of code that I would normally include in a real-world application to make it easier to follow.

I would split your project into the following files:

Errors.vb:
    Code:
    Option Strict On
    Option Explicit On 

Public Class MaximumLengthException
        Inherits System.ApplicationException

Public Sub New(ByVal maxLength As Integer, ByVal parameterName As String)
            MyBase.New("The maximum length for " & parameterName & " is " & _
                       maxLength.ToString & " characters.")
        End Sub
    End Class

Public Class MinimumLengthException
        Inherits System.ApplicationException

Public Sub New(ByVal minimumLength As Integer, ByVal parameterName As String)
            MyBase.New("The minimum length for " & parameterName & " is " & _
                        minimumLength.ToString & " characters.")
        End Sub
    End Class
    Shared.vb:
    Code:
    Option Strict On
    Option Explicit On 

Public Class AppConstants
        Public Shared DBConnString As String = _
            "Provider=Microsoft.ACE.OLEDB.12.0;" & _
            "Data Source=C:\database1.accdb;" & _
            "Persist Security Info=False;" & _
            "Data Source = C:/customerInfo1.accdb"

End Class
    Customer.vb:
    Code:
    Option Strict On
    Option Explicit On 

Imports System.Data.OleDb

Public Class Customer

Private _fullName As String
        Private _addressLine1 As String
        Private _phoneNumber As String

Private _isDirty As Boolean = False

Public ReadOnly Property IsDirty() As Boolean
            Get
                Return _isDirty
            End Get
        End Property

Public Property FullName() As String
            Get
                Return _fullName
            End Get
            Set(ByVal Value As String)

Dim ParamName As String = "Customer Name"

' you can add whatever validation you like here.
                ' eg - I have said that this field can't be Null
                ' or and empty string and has to be between
                ' 3 and 25 characters long.
                If Value = Nothing Then Throw New ArgumentNullException(ParamName)

If Value.Length < 3 Then Throw New MinimumLengthException(3, ParamName) Else 
                If Value.Length > 25 Then Throw New MaximumLengthException(25, ParamName)

' Here, I am saying "if the new value is different from the existing value then
                ' update the curent value and mark the object as dirty"
                If _fullName <> Value Then
                    _fullName = Value
                    _isDirty = True
                End If

End Set
        End Property

Public Property PhoneNumber() As String
            Get
                Return _phoneNumber
            End Get

' You can go mad here and add all kinds of nifty validation using regular
                ' expressions, etc...
            End Set
        End Property

Public Property AddressLine1() As String
            Get
                Return _addressLine1
            End Get

' You can also do a lot of cool validation with addresses
            End Set
        End Property

Public Sub Save()
            Dim connectionString As String = AppConstants.DBConnString
            Dim cn As New OleDbConnection(connectionString)
            Dim cmd As New OleDbCommand

' Only save the data if it has changed.
            If _isDirty Then
                Try
                    cn.Open()

With cmd
                        .Connection = cn
                        .CommandText = "INSERT INTO customerINfo " & _
                                       "   ( " & _
                                       "    FullName " & _
                                       "   ,Address1 " & _
                                       "   ,PhoneNumber " & _
                                       "   ) " & _
                                       "VALUES " & _
                                       "   (?, ?, ?) "

With .Parameters
                            .Add("full_name", _fullName.Trim)
                            .Add("address_line1", _addressLine1.Trim)
                            .Add("phone_number", _phoneNumber.Trim)
                        End With

.ExecuteNonQuery()

End With

cmd = Nothing
                    cn.Close()

_isDirty = False

Catch ex As Exception

cn.Close()
                    Throw ex

End Try

End If
        End Sub
    End Class
    Form1.vb:
    Code:
    Option Strict On
    Option Explicit On 

Public Class Form1
        Inherits System.Windows.Forms.Form

Private Sub Button1_Click(ByVal sender As System.Object, ByVal e As System.EventArgs) Handles Button1.Click
            Dim cust As New Customer

Try

cust.FullName = txtName.Text
                cust.AddressLine1 = txtAddress.Text
                cust.PhoneNumber = txtPhone.Text

cust.Save()

Catch ex As Exception

MessageBox.Show(ex.Message)

End Try

End Sub
    End Class
    I would be much happier as a developer if I had to inherit a project like this.

Let me know if there are any bits you don't understand and I'll try and explain as best I can.

Regards,

John.

I also just noticed that your connection string has two data sources:
    Code:
            dbProvider = "Provider=Microsoft.ACE.OLEDB.12.0;Data Source=C:\database1.accdb;Persist Security Info=False;"
            dbSource = "Data Source = C:/customerInfo1.accdb"
    You probably want to get rid of that reference to database1.accdb in the dbProvider string.

JohnnyD,

Thank you for taking your time and showing me possibilities on how to do this in a much cleaner manner.

All those 4 snippets of code, are you creating separate classes for those or are they all on the same form? My current code looks like a jumbled mess trying to get all of that in there so if I could use seperate forms to do it would be fantastic!

I've only been working with VB for about a year so anytime I can learn something that would help me out in the 'real world' is a plus! Everything else seems to make sense. I will try to incorporate my own version of this code later today while I'm at home and see where it takes me.

Thank you for your input!

That was weird.. i just walked in front of my pc and this notification just popped up in front of me. Seeing as I'm here and still in programming mode I'll try and help you out right now.

I think you might be confusing files with classes. I think visual studio is to blame for this. When you right-click your project, you get the 'add module' and 'add class' menu items. All they do is add a new file to your project with a tiny bit of pre-defined code in. If you create one of each, you'll see that they both have a .vb file extension. You could highlight everything in one of those files, cut it and then paste it at the end of the other file and you'd have no problems at all. What I'm trying to get at is it really doesn't matter where you put your code as long as it makes it straightforward to understand. The actual file name has absolutely no relation to any of the code inside it.

Since using VB.NET I've never had any cause to use a module. I think this is a left-over from VB6/VBA days and you should probably avoid modules at all costs and stick to using classes.

It's worth noting that Forms are slightly different because they have a visual / designer (where you drag and drop the buttons) element to them, so you should always have one .vb file per form.

If you have complicated classes, it's good to separate them into their own files but you don't have to. So, if I wanted to, I could create one file in my project and call it 'allmycode.vb' and put all of the code in the first 3 snippets (excluding the code for the form) of my previous post into it and that would work fine, but it would make it hard to find what I was looking for quickly. Or you could create a separate file for every single class in your project, but sometimes it's good to group classes which are closely related and keep them together in one file.

So, keeping my previous post as an example, if you look carefully above each one I've suggested a file name which just helps me identify what is in that file. You'll also notice that the Customer.vb file only has one class in it, whereas the Errors.vb has 2 (and would definitely have a lot more in a real-world app).

Sorry, this is turning into quite a long, potentially confusing post. I'll try attaching a zip file so you can have a look for yourself what I mean.
    Attached Files Attached Files

Thanks all for the input, it was very helpful and I learned a great deal. I appreciate all the help.

That listing of JohnnyD is tutorial level stuff. Should be submitted as an article with a little polishing. Simple enough to not be overwhelming but more useful than than oop Mammals level analogy stuff. I like it! Thanks for sharing.

Glad to help

I can't take full credit for the code, it is based on code I learnt from a really great book - "Building Client/Server applications with VB.NET: An example driven approach" by Jeff Levinson, although greatly simplified for the purposes of this forum. It's very old now (2003) and based on .NET 1.1 so I'm not sure how much use it would be to someone learning vb2008/2010 but I learnt a great deal about the general concepts of writing n-tier apps from it.

I did hear straight from the horse's mouth that Jeff is currently re-writing it for the most recent version of the .NET framework so I'd be very interested in having a look at that when it comes out.

I would also recomment another book for beginners - "Introduction to Visual Basic using .NET" by Dana L. Wyatt and Robert J. Oberg which teaches all the basics of object-oriented programming using VB.NET. I found it really useful during the transition from VB6 to VB.NET as it has little notes throughout the book pointing out the differences between the two.